Where would a JW marry a non-JW? A KH?

by InterestedOne 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Am I correct that JW marrying a non-JW is frowned upon but not forbidden? If it's not forbidden, would the elders do the marriage in the KH? I know the JW is forbidden to attend a non-JW religious ceremony, so another church would be out. If the elders wouldn't do it at the KH, where could it even be held? Is the only option (US) to go to the justice of the peace?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

If it's not forbidden, would the elders do the marriage in the KH? NEVER!

If the elders wouldn't do it at the KH, where could it even be held? at any location as long as it is not religious.

• designs
    designs

Yep, Justice of the Peace is the way to go. I have my JP, should I dust off my best Sermon

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

The elders would not do it for any JW-Non JW wedding. Very Fat Chance!

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

If a JW and a non-JW were to get married, the ceremony would NOT ever be in a KH. One of the questions a couple is asked when getting married is something to do with following scriptural (i.e. WTS rules) principles. Being that one would be worldly, they do not qualify to be 'good examples' to use the KH for their marriage.

In that case, they can get married in any other (non-religious location) location, hotel/resort/country club/community center etc.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne
    Yep, Justice of the Peace is the way to go. I have my JP, should I dust off my best Sermon

LOL Designs, no, not yet :) I was just wondering about what freedoms JW's have within the not-a-disfellowshipping-offence realm. I've had JW's say they're free to do what they want, but of course they are evasive about what the congregational consequences might be for various things. I wonder if a JW goes ahead and marries a non-JW against the warnings from the cong, if the cong does anything official to that person like forbid them to comment or something.

• dgp
    dgp

Interested One, I first came here with a similar question:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/183020/1/All-right-do-JWs-REALLY-do-not-marry-outside-of-their-faith

Hope this helps.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I'm pretty sure that in most congregations the entire bridal party is expected/required to be members 'in good standing' or else they will not allow a KH ceremony.

My unbaptized brother married a baptized & active JW about 12 years ago. Because the future daughter-in-law was not marrying 'in the Lord' (my mother's son), my mother was advised to go to the Courthouse Wedding. Two days before the wedding mom got the OK to attend. (She was pissed and hurt that noone wanted her suggestions about cake, flowers, and catering.]

So the simple concensus is: NO. Definitely not allowed in KH. Go to Justice of the Peace.

-Aude.

• blondie
    blondie

There are many sanctions connected with a jw marrying a non-jw.

1) While they cannot disfellowship for it, the can give an "anonymous" talk at the kingdom hall "marking" you as bad association. Except for talking to you at meetings and going door to door with you, they will have no social contact with you.

2) Even if you have the wedding in a neutral place (nothing religious) or have a justice of the peace or judge perform the ceremony, any elder, ministerial servant, or regular pioneer will be removed from their position if they attend. I have seen it happen.

3) Plus no wedding showers can be given by or attended by jws without the above happening.

4) Even if the non-jw should become a jw later, the jw will be marked permanently as a person who would deliberately disobey God (actually the WTS) and will be considered permanently flawed spiritually.

*** w89 11/1 pp. 21-22 par. 17 Do Not Yoke Yourselves With Unbelievers ***What about situations in which a brother or a sister married an unbeliever, and now both of them are serving Jehovah? Still, Jehovah’s principles were violated. Does the end justify the means? Illustrating God’s view of those who ignore his counsel is the case of the Jews returning from Babylonian captivity. When some took pagan wives, Bible writers Ezra and Nehemiah pulled no punches in condemning their actions. Those Jews "acted unfaithfully," committed a "great badness," and incurred "guiltiness." (Ezra 10:10-14; Nehemiah 13:27) Something else to consider: When we ignore God’s counsel, we may wound ourselves spiritually, scarring our conscience. One sister whose unbelieving husband eventually became a believer said: ‘I am still dealing with the emotional scars. I can’t tell you how awful I feel when others point to us and say, "But it worked for them."’

• garyneal
    garyneal

Justice of the peace here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit