April 2011 WT: Shoving the Faithful Slave down our throats again

by brotherdan 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

It's amazing that Hebrews 3:3 says that JESUS is the greater Moses. Yet the GB presumptuously took that title on for themselves. There was no talk in that article about coming to JESUS for salvation. It was "come to the organization for salvation."

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

It's such a weak teaching, based on one parable and easily destroyed with other scriptures. Where's the scripture that says God would have an organization? Where's the scripture that says we would have to be part of an organization to survive Armageddon? I know other factors come into play, but it still surprises me that most JW's don't realize that.

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah they keep publishing these "Obey us or god will melt your eyeballs at Armageddon!" articles virtually every month.

And nothing really changes.

People storm convention sites at 8:01 AM and leave 30 magazines on seats for their friends.

People do about 15 minutes of "real" witnessing work and count 2 hours for the morning.

People watch TV instead of organizing a "Family Worship night".

People rush out to buy iphones so they can update their facebook pages every 15 minutes.

People blow off meetings because they are just so god-awful boring and uninstructive.

People talk to their disfellowshipped kids.

The higher up the ranks of the organizational leaders you look, the more you see a mixture of aggravation, contempt, and bewilderment in the eyes of its representatives.

"Why don't these guys just obey us like they should?"

And the most creative response the GB gets from the cadre of yes-men that surround it? "Well, maybe repeating 'obey us or die!' 40 times a year just isn't enough. I'll bet if we repeat it 80 times a year things will change!"

• zoiks
    zoiks
    It's amazing that Hebrews 3:3 says that JESUS is the greater Moses. Yet the GB presumptuously took that title on for themselves.

Dan, you're wrong. Jesus is still the Greater Moses; the GB is the Greater Jesus. Didn't you know?

• pirata
    pirata

On a positive note, at least they're making it clear who the leaders are, instead of some nebulous "society". In the 80's and 90's it was common to hear "the Society says...". Now it's the "the faithful slave says..." or "the governing body says..." as an appeal to authority when "reasoning".

Well, actually I'm not sure how that's an improvement, but it is a difference.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

True true, pirata. Glass half full.

Zoiks, it would hilarious if they eventually admited that.

• laverite
    laverite

My impression of how things have shifted in the literature from the 70s to the present time is that the GB is MUCH more in your face about their authority. They really are shoved down our throats like never before. I'm sorry, but there's NOT ONE single GB member that I want in my throat. Period.

Bro. Dan wrote: "I just hope more people continue to see how horrible this organization is." I honestly believe more and more are. I believe the conscious class is growing. I bet you aren't the only member of the conscious class in your congo Bro. Dan. The only problem is how to identify (and commiserate) with the others.

• laverite
    laverite

Follow up:

I believe that the GB knows the Conscious Class is growing. That's why they are trying to shove themselves down our throats. They are losing their grip, and they know it. They feel the need to exert their "authority." The only problem is that more and more are catching glimpses of the man behind the curtain. Articles such as this one seem to be really saying: "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

If you say something long enough, the hearers will believe it. The WTS realizes that the flock are forgetful hearers and need constant reminders for them to know who to follow.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

My impression of how things have shifted in the literature from the 70s to the present time is that the GB is MUCH more in your face about their authority.

Well considering the GB really didn't come into true existance till the '70's thats to be expected.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit