I Joined The YMCA

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    You have to sing the National Anthem and salute the flag. Then everyone gets naked and walks around.

When I walk around naked everyone salutes...christian, muslim or atheist...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I'm still in shock to learn that one of my favorite apostates, "Minimus", is still (technically) a JW.

Please get yourself DF'd and let's throw a proper party.

• minimus
    minimus

Funny, I've heard that Witnesses (elders) say I've "changed" and that I'm very "humble" now.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Mark 9:38-40 .... that was always a tough one for me, I just avoided it, I was on a very good retrun visit however and the gentleman brought up the scripture when a certain elder was with me (he had brought it up in the past, but I was able to be sufficiently vague and change the subject), the elder explained it somewhat this way ... Jesus' words must be understood by the context, at the time, Christianity as a religion did not exist, they were still under the Jewish system, after Jesus' death the Christian congregation came into existence with a centralized governing body in Jerusalem, therefore, Jesus' words at Mark 9:38-40 apply only to that period before the establishement of that centralized governing body arrangement ...............

I have never checked to see if there was a Watchtower that supported this thought, the experience was about three years ago, I never could quite accept the interpolation provided by the brother, but he seemed to be convinced.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

... sorry, I replied off topic

Congrats on joining the Y!

One just opened up in our town, brothers have been asking me what the Society's stance on joining is, and can they just use the failities without getting a membership. I don't know. All I said was that it was a disfellowshipping offense in the past and I don't think anything has been provided in print changing that, but if somebody wanted to get a membership it wouldn't stumble me.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It gives people the wrong idea b/c it doesn't say Young Christendom. The hours spent at the Y could be spent going door to door, the prime directive.

Does anyone else have a wonderful sign of pleasure when doing something innocuous that the Society condemned? How are they going to know you are a member? My mom reproved me when I was a candy-striper with a snappy uniform and hat. She wanted me to do it so I could have fun and qualify for nursing school (a dream crushed b/c I could not give transfusions). Her problem was when I wanted to wear my uniform b/c I was proud and everyone else praised me when they saw me with it. I thought it would fit into my Ministry School assignment.

She lovingly explained why I would be condemned. I was so embarassed b/c I am people pleasing puppy dog. Ah, wicked, wicked me, wanting to work hard hours to meet guys, patients and have exposure to a field. The work was hard, too. If it weren't for the adorable uniform, it would have been over the first day. Whoever designed the candystripes knew how to play to teenage girls. No kidding -- it was a deep hurt.

When I go see the Beatles, Dylan, mega star or attend the ballet or opera at Lincoln Center, I just feel so wondrous and pinch myself. There is no way for me to explain it to friends.

• TJ Curioso
    TJ Curioso

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but can you explane me what is YMCA?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

young men's christian association

• blondie
    blondie

I worked for law enforcement that had an understanding with the YMCA. It was a benefit the agency paid for...no money from individual employees. I was still a jw and I worried that someone would see me there...then I realized, how could they see me there if they were there (and why were they there). Now, if the WTS could be associated with the UN as an NGO for 10 years....

• minimus
    minimus

It would be like sneaking into the disco.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit