Birthdays: Anniversaries of baby showers?

by alamb 14 Replies latest jw friends

• alamb
    alamb

Well, aren't they? My JW father is arguing with me about holidays and birthdays so I asked him what baby showers were and how they differed from birthdays? If Mother's day and Father's day are wrong, how is a baby's day (shower) not idolatry too?

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

lol I never heard of that... Interesting. Jehovah's Witnesses have wedding anniversaries too... Jesus went to festables etc but it wasn't bad. JW can party too and it's not bad... the bad in JW thinking is if the bible has anything to say negatively against the festable, celebration, or tridition... but what they don't see is why we celebrate holidays or birthdays, let it be their conscience but I found prouf with the bible that guides my conscience into saying it's ok to celebrate such things.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Romans 14 says it all and should shut up a JW about any celebration, though it doesn't.

I have always viewed birthday celebrations as birthday anniversaries similar to wedding anniversaries.

Don't put someone on a pedistal? Then, why celebrate graduations and retirements?

It's pagan? Then why are JW brides allowed to carry flowers down the isle, wear a white gown and rings?

• blondie
    blondie

Are there any secular (non-jw) research sources that attribute pagan orgins to baby showers?

Don't expect to be able to have a logical discussion about this...unless the WTS officially sanctions something, it is wrong officially.

Pinatas and luaus are examples of recent things that were considered pagan that now have the WTS seal of approval. (not other religions though)

http://www.ccg.org/english/s/p276.html

http://www.hawaii-luaus.com/history.htm

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

White Dove, these are questions that I have asked myself.......You are right in that if we are not supposed to put someone above others ie. mother's day, than why can we celebrate when someone graduates or retires?

I do know one thing......the celebrations that we are allowed, have restrictions put on them. Not to have too large of a gathering......being careful on the amount of alcohol that is consumed......make sure to have upbuilding spiritual conversation. Might as well NOT celebrate ANYTHING as it is all under scrutiny. If things get out of control, then the one who arranges the celebration is held responsible for the actions of the guests, should anything go out of control or anyone has issue with the event.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/190923/1/10-good-reasons-why-celebrating-birthdays-should-be-allowed

This thread has some really good points. JW's don't seem to understand that birthdays can't be idolatry. There's no worship involved. It's a day friends and family celebrate because they love someone and are happy they were born. Same with Mother's and Father's day. If it is idolatry than so is giving gifts at anytime.

• alamb
    alamb

"A glimpse into the history shows that the tradition of baby shower started way back in the ancient Egyptian and Roman times. Though no proper evidence is available, historians believe that during this time, people gave the new born baby and his/her parents, various types of handmade gifts as presents. This marked the beginning of the baby shower celebration. Let us explore some more on its history.

Interesting Information On Origin & Background Of Baby Showers
    During the Victorian era, baby shower was a women-centric celebration. Ladies of the family hosted tea parties for the would-be mum and the expected baby. The party was always held after the baby was born, as a pregnant lady was not allowed to go out in public. It was at this phase that umbrellas became a part of the style statement, as it was expected for the new mom to carry parasols. While every one gave handmade gifts to the baby, grandmothers were an exception, as they handed out something made in silver to the new mother and her child.

The baby shower, held after the birth of the baby, served as the reason for family members, friends and relatives to come and see the new born baby. Things changed after the World War II, when baby shower was viewed as a celebration of pregnancy. The popularity of the occasion increased and baby shower party started being held before the birth of the child. It proved to be a wonderful time for family members and friends to gather in celebration of new life. From being a women-centric celebration, baby shower party became unisexual, as expectant father, grandfathers and male relatives also became a part of the celebration."

I smell pagan origins....and infant worship.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Celebrate marriage because God instituted it.

DON'T celebrate birthdays, because storks instituted it.

• blondie
    blondie

alamb, what was the source for that information....link possible?

• Lore
    Lore

Giving birth to a child is idolatry.

The parents focus ALL their time and attention on this little idol they created, giving it gifts and sacrifices and food offerings. Time and money which would otherwise be spent preaching and worshipping.

Did the mother spend less time in service while she was pregnant?
    Would they miss a meeting if she went into labor on Sunday morning?
    Who are they REALLY putting first? Jehovah or their idol?
    Are they going to be able to give Jehovah their utmost? Or are they KNOWINGLY lowering their 'utmost' by deciding to have a child?

If THAT isn't idolatry, then what is?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit