"The Simpsons" - Is Ned Flanders based on a Jehovah's Witness? Did you have one?

by Witness 007 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I like Flanders. He is more than a cheap joke. They could have written it differently. I find that basically he believes sincerely. There needs to be foil to Homer and Bart. He is not Aunt Esther. Religious people drive me bonkers and Ned I can tolerate.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

My fav Flanders moment was with his Kids and Bart....

You guys want a Pixxie Stix??

No we can't eat sugar.....

Oh well don't worry..... Pixxie Stix don't have sugar ......LOL

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Nah. Flanders is still too nice a guy, and he doesn't force others to conform to his religion. I've known a few other religious groups like him. They are very vocal but still seem to respect the right of others to believe differently.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I agree Ned Is Cool.....even thou he's Religious LOL

I'd invite him to my Party!!!.....

Ok Darth will go Evil....

especially if his wife was still alive ....yum yum LOL

Sorry!

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Please don't remind me of those Mr. Rogers-lookin' fools.

Ned Flanders! hahaha!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Flanders is the most affectionate and accurate TV portrayal of the quintessential American Evangelical.

This is by design.

• Joliette
    Joliette

I agree with sd4. More right wing conservative guy, not a dubber.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Total Simpsons nerd here. I believe it's said in one of the DVD commentaries that much of his character development came from early writer Jeff Martin, whose father was a (Baptist, I believe?) preacher. He wrote the first Flanders episodes and has talked a lot about him in interviews. The intent of Flanders was to give Homer a rival he could never live up to -- Flanders lives the perfect American life, while Homer lives the average one. The unrelenting moral "do-gooder-ness" of Flanders contrasts with Homer's total lack of care for anyone else. Flanders always gets ahead, Homer always falls behind. Flanders is a pillar of the community, Homer occasionally gets arrested. And so on.

I've personally always found Flanders to be one of the most likeable characters on the show. His only major flaw is being too kind to others. For a notoriously atheist show (which I love!), I think they do a beautiful job of turning him into a character you end up appreciating instead of just mocking.

(Okay, I am SUCH a Simpsons fan stereotype. I took a casual question and got all nerdy with it. Sorry, neighborinos! ;))

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Mineral Wells Texas congregation: Former Elder whose initials are D.S. is the perfect hybrid of Ned Flanders and a douchebag. The goofy over the top niceties of Flanders on the surface and a real SumBitch under the skin.

Buenos Ding Dang Diddly Dias Amigorinos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit