Suicide : John Wischuck

by torre 11 Replies latest jw friends

• torre
    torre

In 1990 John Wischuck one of the heavyweights (member of the factory committee)at Brooklyn HQ committed suicide jumping from the window of his room down to the ground) This episode passed unnoticed for most of the JW all around the world. A few weeks later that year, Max Larson was visiting the branch in Spain and he didn’t mention anything at all of the dead. Only good news and how JW were succeeding and all that kind of rubbish

Anyone from the board was in Bethel at that time and knows any details about it?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I do not mean to hijack this thread. Is Max Larson still alive? How old is he now? Is he in the nursing home now?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I googled Max Larson, He is 94 or 95 years old.

• behemot
    behemot

It was not John Wischuck, but Richard Wheelock.

See here:

http://governingbodyletters.blogspot.com/2008/05/richard-wheelock-committed-suicide-at.html

Behemot

• behemot
    behemot

John Wischuck is alive and kicking: he is quoted as "assignment editor" of the Watchtower in this article on NYRM:

http://nyrm.org/2010/05/13/the-most-widely-read-magazine-in-the-world/

• life is to short
    life is to short

I was there in 1991. It was talked about but kept very low keyed. The ones who talked about it acted like Richard Wheelock lost his faith in Jehovah not that he was just really, really sick and needed help. He had just lost of his wife of like 60 years in death and was very depressed and got no help even at Bethel the house of God from how it came across to me.

My overseer said the local paper had a story in it saying now the JW are jumping out of windows. My overseer was ticked at that.

My overseer was very cold hearted about it.

Richard was sick not evil. It was so sad and it broke my heart to hear the disrespect for him.

LITS

• chiguy2010
    chiguy2010

This is the story I heard from somone that was their at the time.

It was a very sad turn of events, for a good man.

Richard and his wife were at an convention or zone visit when she tripped and fall.

I don't know the details of her injuries but she had complications and died, Richard blamed himself.

He never recovered from her loss, a rotten human tragedy.

If any "good" came out of it, I believe their was a new examination of depression and suicide.

• torre
    torre

Thank you very much Behemot and to all for your comments.

Sorry for my mistake which leads to a misunderstandings. Certainly, I was referring to Richard Wheelock.

• yknot
    yknot

Yea... John is in last years DVD too....

I also wanted to remind everyone that Barbara Anderson later identified John as the Senior Writer who said:

"Everyone knows that a little girl who is molested brings it upon herself by climbing onto a man's lap!"

in her piece on freeminds.... (give it a read over! http://www.freeminds.org/organization/barbara-anderson/knorr-s-policies.html )

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi Yknot, you have a PM.

Len Miller

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit