God as Imaginary Friend

by Lion Cask 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Do you have a point Perry? Are you responding to some imaginary nihilist?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

These arguments are not new, they are indeed very old.

It'd good to see them ge a "new light" now and then, it keeps as believers on our toes and keeps us from being complaicent.

Of course it is typically a case of "preaching to the converted" and those believers that are "open minded" enough to debate these things are NOT the ones that these arguments should tbe addressed to, but it is what it is.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    It begs the question though: Why did humans develop a need for something that does not exist?

Well Tammy, my take on this is that as we grow up we are dependent on our mother and father for all our needs. They are our roll models. Single parent families and orphans find other roll models.

We grow up and make our way in the world. Our mind is programmed to look to a mother or father figure for support, guidance and hope. Our own parents grow old and die but before this happens we create a heavenly father or mother figure that we can look to and answer to. Someone who can fulfil our hopes and dreams if we believe in them and do what we believe will please them.

Tammy you love Jesus very much and find comfort in your belief in his existence. I really hope he does exist, because to see the gift of such trust, love and devotion going to waste, would be tragic.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Well Tammy, my take on this is that as we grow up we are dependent on our mother and father for all our needs. They are our roll models. Single parent families and orphans find other roll models.

You know, its funny you bring that up because a couple of days ago I read a view point that "justified" some atheism and some people's issues with God as being related to "failed father figure" on their lives.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

PSacramento Nothing would surprise me.

It would make sense that having a "failed father figure" would inhibit someone form seeking a spiritual replacement.

• jay88
    jay88

The idea of Santa or the tooth fairy drops, when you realize that it is your parents that are providing the gifts, but even with good parents god keeps on ticking.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    It would make sense that having a "failed father figure" would inhibit someone form seeking a spiritual replacement.

I don't think it applies to all, perhaps not even most, but for some, it was a nail on the head.

The speaker was part of the Veritas forum in the book " A place for truth", I can't remember the speakers name, sorry...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit