scriptural intentional distortions

by tosko 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tosko
    tosko

Hi all!

Can anyone point out clear and intentional distortions in Jws translations and interpretations? Dishonesty in translation?

Thanks
    T

• wokeup
    wokeup

One example in the NWT is found in Col.1:16,17 where the word (other) is inserted to change the context without support in the original greek. just look in the NWT greek interlinear.There's many others.

• tosko
    tosko

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. However, i was hoping that in this forum, which is specifically for JWs i can get something for my thesis. I am writing an academic thesis, PhD about JWs. I have talked and pointed many places in Col. and Cor. and Hebrews and Revelations where they are interpreting the text differently. A stronger argument will be to actually show deliberate distortion and assess the degree of divergence of JWs from mainstream Christianity. They may be interpreting texts differently, but hey, many other Christian denominations interpret the same text differently.
    Also, with what texts cann't htey do without? There are doctrines of JWs which support their own governmental structure and organisation is based on them, which if they don't have they'll fall apart, e.g. on the 'faithful and discreet slave'. Or that JEsus Christ is not the head of the church because if he was, there'd be no need of GB.
    sincerely

• siegswife
    siegswife

One place that I can think of is Jude 9. Michael said to Satan, "May the LORD rebuke you."

When they added the name Jehovah to their translation, they claimed that they would only add it when the NT scripture is clearly referring to an OT scripture that did have the Name there. There is no corresponding OT scripture to Jude 9.

I think that they did this because they believe Michael is Jesus. Since the NT makes it clear that Jesus is LORD, it would not fit into their Michael/Jesus doctrine to keep the original Greek rendering of this passage.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Tosko,
    Try e-mailing Running Man. He sent me a lot of information I asked for and was very helpful.

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

Much information can be found here:

. http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm

CPIolo

• ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

One of the worst things that has been done with all most ALL bibles is the failure to finish TRANSLATING ALL the WORDS!

Examples;
    christ = apointed (of god)
    nicolations = (contraction of nike and laos), conquors over gathered people.
    apostle = ambassador
    spirit = force / power
    saint = ? *grins*

As you can see there are many words that have been "transposed" into our languages and never translated. This gives rise and "mystical and spiritual" thoughts to these words that arn't there!

"Keep em' in the dark and feed them bull shit, they must be mushrooms!"

Norval

• indireneed
    indireneed

My brother and I went over alot of these points trying to find a chink in the armour to save my wife, but we never got very far. My brother is a well-known Latin/Greek scholar.

Some of the glaring examples include John 1:1, the use of the word 'torture stake' and Philippians 2:6.

The problem is that the JW rendering in these passages can be attributed to other scholars who have made the same argument, and thus it is difficult to 'disprove' them.

Therefore, their real 'error' is to present their opinion as fact and assume that their followers should do what they tell them, when in fact there is a great amount of doubt surrounding the passage. For example, torture stake has arguments for and against, but they discount all arguments against and perhaps short change these opposing views.

There are not unlike most other religions in assuming they are the right and directed organization - it is their use of this power that differs, so like the antiquated Catholic use of heresy trials in order to avoid disturbance.

• Sunbeam
    Sunbeam

Hiya

You might find the following useful - especially the part about the NWT.

http://www.kevinquick.com/kkministries/books/reasoning/

In terms of deliberate distortion and divergence from mainstream Christianity, you will see that there is a pattern. Scriptures that relate to the deity of Christ and the work of the holy spirit, in particular, have been rendered in such a way that they support the org's continued power over their members.

E.g. Christ could not die for everyone's sins (he was only a man not God and so could only die to cover a man's, Adam's, sins) so you have to work for your own salvation.
    E.g. the holy spirit is just an 'active force' rather than the power of God and the way in which God dwells in believers.

Upshot - you have to do all the good works we suggest (meetings, door-to-door) in the hope that you can earn your way into paradise, and you can't understand the Bible without us.

Contrast with mainstream Christianity - Christ died for everyone's sins so that those who trust in him can know they are saved and don't have to work for salvation, the holy spirit 'will teach us all things' and help us to grow as Christians and the result will be good works - so no-one needs an org to set standards, rules, translate the bible etc.

WTS - do everything we tell you all your life and you might be saved.
    Mainstream Christianity - Christ's perfect standards are unattainable so we can never get there this side of heaven, Christians are to meet to encourage and support each other in their journey.

As well as deliberate mis-translation (sometimes in accordance with the view held by a minority of 'scholars'), texts are taken out of context or mis-interpreted, generally to create a fear of Satan/outsiders/people who have left the sect/dying at Armageddon - i.e. create phobias. At the same time, the WT proclaims itself and its members as the only true Christians - hence the arrogant, self-righteous attitute of many JWs. This is all supported by jargon and buzzwords that only JW's understand.

Thesis have already been written about some of these topics. Like the rest of us, you'll just need to spend plenty of time online, reading and digesting.

BTW, their may be differing opinions about minor points within mainstream Christianity - but the churches are in agreement about the important points: deity of Christ, work of the holy spirit, resurrection, etc. People shouldn't be thrown out for having their own opinions, as they are with the WTS.

Good luck. Would be interested in seeing the finished work if you decide to go ahead.

Sunbeam
    xxxx

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Tosko,

Can anyone point out clear and intentional distortions in Jws translations and interpretations? Dishonesty in translation?
    Only the anonymous translators of The New World Translation know their intentions and motives, so it is difficult to say whether their questionable translations and interpretrations were deliberately distorted or dishonest.

Here is an article that tells a little about the anonymous translators of The New World Translation:

"A Critical Look at the Jehovah's Witness Bible The New World Translation"
    by M. Kurt Goedelman
    http://www.focusonthefaulty.com/Pages/jehovahs.html

Here is a list of problems with The New World Translation:

http://www.eskimo.com/~jcw/jcw97.html

Ginny, pleased to meet another tosk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit