A Request to All Posters Regarding Cut & Paste Posting of "Interesting Articles"

by Oubliette 16 Replies latest members private

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    I have my sources. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
  • cofty
    cofty

Totally agree with your OP Oubliette.

Especially the part about offering your own commentary on the article.

• steve2
    steve2
    Valid points, Oubliette. Sometimes posters include only part of an article and, if it's featured at all, the link doesn't work. It comes across as sloppy and hurried. I also like to see the poster's own views on the article so I can see "where" they're coming from.
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

Totally agree Oubliette.

I apologize if I have done that in the past.

Eden

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Oubliette - "I have a personal request to all posters. My request is in reference to the practice of Cut & Paste Posting of "Interesting Articles."

Personally, I like it when my fellow members of this forum sharing interesting news stories or other similar items. I especially like it when you do certain things, such as:

• Include the TITLE of the article
    • Include a link to the article
    • Judiciously Cut & Paste a few key quotes, and then
    • Include your own commentary and observations about the article

What I hate/detest/deplore and find incredibly annoying is when posters:

• Cut & Paste an entire article without any editing or commentary!

Seriously!

What's the point?

It's just lazy.

So you saw an interesting article on the internet and want to share it. Great!

Do us a favor. Just give us the most interesting points, include your own thoughts and provide us a link so, if we want to read more, we can.

But share YOUR THOUGHTS. We can all read the article. I want to know what YOU think about it, pro and con. Tell us WHY YOU think it's worthy of our consideration. Do it!

Many of you have apparently forgotten: this is A DISCUSSION FORUM, not a CUT & PASTE FORUM.

Rant over,

Oubliette"

I agree.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Perry, are you listening?
  • Simon
    Simon

I concur. Especially important is attribution and giving a link back to the original content.

I would also add ... don't copy everything on the page.

Sometimes there are links and side-panel stuff, things that are not relevant at all to the content. Links to "like" content etc... that makes no sense when it isn't on the site.

If you are copying elements to comment on, as suggested, this isn't normally a problem. If you are simply copying and pasting an entire page - maybe reconsider.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit