Earthquakes....

by SatoriCE 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Paul has an excellent and very easy to follow outline on his JWFacts website.

(Paul, I hope you didn't mind some extra traffic )

-Yan

• SatoriCE
    SatoriCE

Everyone, thank you for all the useful feedback and information!!!!!

Satori

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If you can, use examples close to home.

I just happen to live on a piece of dirt that would not exist without earthquakes. Earthquakes in NZ provide the soil we grow our food on, the mountains that cause our rain, the nutrients that feed the bottom of our coastal food chain.

Do some homework on how earthquakes formed your local environment so that you have something to say that they can not deny without looking foolish.

• SatoriCE
    SatoriCE

Great advise, thank you Black Sheep! We actually live in California where the San Andreas Fault is!!!

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Perhaps there is some truth to the "more frequency" theory...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You just have to read Jonsson & Herbst to see how amazingly dishonest the Society's claims have been over the years.

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Hi SatoriCE,

I used the information on jwfacts to tell my jw ladies that there hadn't been an increase in earthquakes in the last 100 years. They did think otherwise, because the wt said so many times, and then did a deliberately obscure retraction (it's all in jwfacts).

And yes, in 2009 they make a big deal about eathquakes, but just don't specifically say that they are increasing. Sneaky!

The jw ladies were quite happy with the wt's suggestion that earthquakes caused more grief these days because of higher populations affected, and this was the part of the "compound sign".

Retro

• peacefulpete
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

There is a file that was passed around JW-land (can't recall if it was an excel spreadsheet or what) that listed data of significant earthquakes reccorded during the 20th century.

Indeed, there were progressively more and more on the list by year as the century wore on.

What the JWs overlooked (how convenient!) was that the list wasn't ever intended to be comprehensive and show all earthquakes, just selected quakes of significance that have been recorded. But since it was done in a spreadsheet program, it could (and was!) easily sorted by year and the years later in the century had a lot more significant quakes listed than the years earlier in the century.

This manipulation of the data was done by a JW before spreading it around JW email land. I found it particularly disgusting because the one who did it had to know he was being deceptive just for the sake of twisting facts into a fit with Watchtower doctrine.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Here is another graph that shows the long term trend, the short term graph can be misleading.

major earthquake frequency

As the USGS site makes clear is that seismic activity tends to occur in clusters. That is normal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit