October 1975 - VS May 2011

by brotherdan 28 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Does anyone have any articles from outside media sources about the 1975 WT scandal that were written before or just after 1975? I wanted to put that type of article side by side with the article regarding the May 2011 Rapture prediction and see how they were similar.

Does anyone have any of these outside news items about 1975?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I don't think they went that far with '75. Its like they kept it an in house (witness only secret) till it came. I believe the BORG was pushing 75 but hedge their bets to be safe. They did not want another Oct. 1914 where they are walking around the 124 bldg in white robes waiting to be taken up.

Welcome back BD.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I know that I remember seeing an article from the LA Times or something that was titled "Group predicts end of the world" or something like that. It DID get to the outside. I just can't remember where I saw it.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

You can see a few clippings here in this montage...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have this one from Time July 18, 1969

July 18 1969 Time

I can't seem to resize it so you can read it but this is the text from the first paragraph

If this turns out to be the last they all got togetherm the thousands of Jehovah's Witnesseswho gathered last week in New York's Yankee Stadium will not be a bit surprised. In fact, they fully expect the cataclysm of Armageddon within the next few years. The latest calculations of this energetic eschatology-minded sect date the end of the world in autimn 1975.

The last paragraph states:

What is more, Christ's promise that "this generation will not pass away till all these things take place" means that the generation alive in 1914, when the last days began, will see Armageddon. As they eye the thinning ranks of that generation, Jehovah's Witnesses are well aware the time is running out.

If you right click and save the image you should be able to read it easily

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

And what a clear and easy to read column that is....

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

save it on your computer and read it. It is perfectly clear on a 1:1 ratio

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

uh oh, I smell sarcasm there. Dude welcome back.

• TD
    TD

Dan,

I tried to clean up and enhance LL's clipping (to the extent of my limited skills)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Thanks, TD, I could read that one much better. There was a VERY interesting paragraph there. It said that more than any other group, JWs are in constant trouble with the law. The reason given was the refusal of military service not on the grounds of conscientious objection, but because they said they are exempt because they are all ministers. I wonder why they wouldn't use conscientious objection? Has anyone commented on this on the board before?

It also says, "With Armageddon so near, Witnesses WASTE NO TIME on social betterment projects."

If someone can transcribe the article, it would be an interesting thread on its own, I think...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit