Hard To Keep Silent

by Frenchy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• SYN
    SYN

NYT: Does being a Christian involve ignoring your own body, you know, the one God MADE FOR YOU? APPARENTLY?

Does being a Christian also involve being bored to death?

Or being judged without evidence?

Or perverts not being judged at all because there weren't TWO WITNESSES?

Please, stop lying to other people and to us.

*GRRR* HEHE Whew, that's my flaming done for the week right there!

Just kidding. I am actually a very non-aggressive guy in RL, but this...argharghargh!

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone." -- Charles Darwin, The Origin Of Species, 1869.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Frenchy what's very interesting is running a search on "R rated" on the WT CD. You'll find that these guys, COs in particular, go way beyond anything the Organization puts in writing. There's a mention of one individual's progress being slowed because he found out an Elder watched R-rated movies. Doesn't say anything about any consequences for the Elder, in fact I seem to rember the inference is that he continued in his position.

I don't know why COs have such a fixation on this subject but they sure do mention it a lot.

• SexyTeen
    SexyTeen

I think it's silly to say R movies are wrong. The R rating in the US, can be a PG in Australia, and vice versa. For example, The Matrix was R rate in the US, but I think it was a PG in Australia. So a JW in Australia could watch it and not the once in the US?

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

Our CO was here this last week too. You are right I find a direct corelation to the pharisees and the org. They make man made commands and put extra stress on us just like they did back then.

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN
    What that idiot who admittedly didn’t even understand the rating system failed to understand is that it was not his job to tell me how to exercise my God-given conscience. <snip>
    I found the movie: “Saving Private Ryan” to be especially moving. There was some very graphic violence and some rough speech. The movie was not glorifying violence and adult language but rather it was an honest effort to portray the situation as it actually was. The movie was rated “R”...

Imagine sitting in the audience at a CA---less than a year ago---, listening to a clownishly-animated, though humorless, little DO lecture on the evils of modern entertainment, particularly "R"-rated movies. Care to hazard a guess as to the example he imperiously cited to seal his argument?

"Schindler's List." You heard me. "Schindler's List!"

Even coming from a JW platform, that one stunned me.

To the credit of some in the audience, I did detect some faint wtf undercurrent as I flitted my glance around the auditorium.

Though extremely difficult to watch---as a general rule I avoid war films like the plague---, I made the conscious decision to see “SPR” and was deeply moved by it (betcha can guess the immediate application FUBAR conjured! ). I've seen a good number of "R"-rated movies that were rated such mostly due to the intensity of the subject matter. This is especially true for independent and/or art-house fare. The message to be drawn from many of these stories actually engenders introspection and reinforces Christian convictions. Otoh, I find quite a lot of PG-13 stuff---that, because of not being rated “R,” and, therefore, technically, not off-limits to them, JWs in my area flock to in packs---too objectionable, mindless, and pointless to endure. That’s the problem with stone-tablet religious tenets---they actually serve to undermine opportunities free will affords to sharpen one's conscience.

How a religious organization professing to be Christian determines that it does not violate the individual conscience of and its true obligation toward its adherents in saddling them with the endless dictates of its own voluminous Law Code(s) still mystifies, even when referencing an organization as iron-fisted in its control as the WTS.

-AMNESIAN

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Latte:
    You’re welcome. That same C.O., in an apparent effort to somehow portray himself an ‘expert’ on depression (his closing talk) made mention that he had a stack this thick (he gestured indicating approximately two inches) of articles from the Watchtower and the Awake on ‘low emotions.’ Of course what ALL those articles end up prescribing is: More meetings and more field service! Yeah! Meanwhile I’m shaking my head.

Pork Chop:
    That’s been a battle strategy of theirs for a very long time. Put just enough there in the articles to fire up bozo’s like the one we had and let them run flat out. If they fall on their faces, no problem. “We never said it in the literature!” Alas!, 1975 revisited all over again.

Sexy:
    Yes, it’s just that stupid.

Lv4fer:
    Exactly. The strange and baffling thing is that no one is able to see that.

Amnesian:
    I find it interesting that you should mention “Schindler’s List” . A brother told me (this past Sunday) that his wife got on his case for seeing an “R” rated movie. He quickly pointed out to her that they had a video tape of …”Schindler’s List”. She quickly replied: “Yes, but that’s historical” and then he replies “Is that the criteria? If something is historical then it’s okay if it’s “R” rated?” She had no response when she realized just how silly this was getting.

How a religious organization professing to be Christian determines that it does not violate the individual conscience of and its true obligation toward its adherents in saddling them with the endless dictates of its own voluminous Law Code(s) still mystifies, even when referencing an organization as iron-fisted in its control as the WTS.
    I quite agree. They are, in fact, denying these individuals their right AND obligation to exercise their free will in conjunction with what they believe to be right and wrong. They are denying them a conscience. THAT is a sin, a sin just as heinous as any they are trying to “prevent”. Like I read somewhere: God wants spiritual fruit…not religious nuts!
  • DIM
    DIM
    I think it's silly to say R movies are wrong. The R rating in the US, can be a PG in Australia, and vice versa. For example, The Matrix was R rate in the US, but I think it was a PG in Australia. So a JW in Australia could watch it and not the once in the US?

that is exactly correct....when my family was on vacation in New Zealand, my pioneer mom and MS dad watched as many movies that were rated R in the US as possible, before they got home and could possibly offend someone. absolutely pathetic, even my 14 year old sister saw the hypocrisy in that.

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit