Is there a serious weakness in the Watchtower Society's legal position?

by DT 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I heard this from a Columbia prof but before the Internet. The Internet has changed things dramatically. How did people aggrieved by the WTBTS get together before the internet. There are splinter groups so it was possible. It wasn't likely.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

He says that this is an internal religious dispute and claims the court has no constitutional right to interfere. He points to something in the Watchtower literature to support the idea that he has a right and responsibility to distribute this information. (It probably doesn't matter if his reasons are compelling because, in theory, this would be internal religious matter that the courts couldn't investigate.)

Strictly on policy the courts would likely rule against the elder. To rule FOR him would create case law that would allow virtually anyone to infringe on copyrights using a religious excuse...bad for business.

• JeffT
    JeffT

To rule FOR him would create case law that would allow virtually anyone to infringe on copyrights using a religious excuse...bad for business.

Dang, and I was just thinking that we could form a church and make distributing the elders manual a sacrement.

But I have to agree with Justia, this would be a mess. I get my novel published and some clown starts selling illegal copies of it at half price to support his church and claims privilege. I don't want to go there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit