Question on Christmas Lights

by TD 14 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal
    I guess that is becuse they only have one meaning that time of year, and suddenly become pagan, but all the paganinity disapears in January?

I liked that one, hee hee hee.

Honestly, if all paganinity could disappear in the month of January then perhaps that paganinity was never there to start with (except in their own minds). Sadly, a witness would never reason like this because they risk contradicting the slave.

• JeffT
    JeffT

She loves snowmen but laments that snowmen decorations are up only at Christmas time.

I think I will put a bunch of snowman decorations up in July. If anybody asks I'll tell them I'm a Jehovah's Witness and I it's against my religion to put them up around Christmas. That should give the local JW's something to try to explain.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Technically, you are doing nothing wrong if you put up decorative lighting (whether around Christmas or not). This, especially if you are putting icicle lights (they are winter theme), clear lights (again, winter theme), or you are using them for other purposes. Lights can be used to outline a property, for security, or to spread light in places where it's dark and difficult to light properly. And, there is plenty of evidence that color therapy does some good (which Christmas lights can be used for).

However, the hounders are not looking at technical things when it's in your favor. They claim you are stumbling others. Or, they think you are displaying "brazen conduct", especially if they tell you to pull them down and throw them away and you don't. Plus, they take time and money that "should be donated to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund". Each strand of Christmas lights, whether you use them for Christmas or to showcase your plants, costs between $2-5 (incandescent) or $8-30 (LED; some colors are more expensive than others).

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I never heard of Chile lights. In NY, we call them non-Xmas lights white lights or Italian lights. Tavern on the Green in Central Park, now defunct, was outlined in them all year. They are very beautiful. My first impulse is Christmas lights! I need to take my tree down, which means I need better storage for my ornaments. Luchows, also defunct and very popular, had their Christmas tree up all year. I am certain downtown venues also do so to parody Christmas madness.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle
    She loves snowmen but laments that snowmen decorations are up only at Christmas time

We have a room decorated year round with snowman, and almost everyone has to make a wise crack about secretly celebrating christmas, probably because they really want to.

I have often wondered why I couldn't put up white lights. Some JWs go through great lengths to make the house more dreary at Christmas.

So when is Christmas time? I can have a snowman up on January 1st, but not December 31, how about November 25th?

This is rhetorical, I know the answer.

Sadly, a witness would never reason like this because they risk contradicting the slave.

And you know the answer too.

Too bad they take being "no part of the world" so seriously....or out of context, depending on your view.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit