Open apology from former elder

by im stuck in 27 Replies latest jw friends

• im stuck in
    im stuck in

I just finished watching Worlds Apart and was very moved by it. I served as an elder for many years. I wanted to convey to all how sorry I am for all of the jc's I participated in. There were many families torn apart I am sure. Though you do not know who I am and for my own reasons I can not tell you

please accept my apology! I really beleived all that I did was right, having been raised a JW. Several years ago I stepped down but I now see that it was not soon enough. If I had only learned what I know now at an earlier age I would have been a different man and led a much different life. But at least now I can try to make amends for my mistakes. Thanks all for reading this as it does make me feel a little better. Peace and love to all of you.

• laverite
    laverite

And much love to you!

Please don't be hard on yourself. You were stuck in an extremely high control group just as we all were. I was also a born-in, and I get what you are saying.

The past is the past. Move ahead...oops, I mean, move forward. How wonderful you woke up!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

the angels rejoice.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Yes, now the important thing is that you woke up. Laverite is right. Move forward now. You can't do anything about it now.

• sleepingbeauty
    sleepingbeauty

Just Stay Awake & Keep Your Senses !

Dont worry too much, you did those that you got rid of a favour in some respects. (They got out of the CULT). Ok, It is a shame that your actions caused many family breakups, but you did it at the time in good faith. Just be glad that you woke up when you did & that you didnt lose anymore time than you did to them. :)

Hugs

• yknot
    yknot

It is often said ....." we all make mistakes......but what sets us apart is how we handle ourselves once we learn of our err."

I have a feeling you are and always have been a very good man.

Imagine all the good you will do, give and receive without the constraints or blinders of the WTS!

.................... and Huggles too!

• nugget
    nugget

It is one of the reasons why I was glad I was never an elder. You were under the control of the group so really didn't know better. I know that my husband felt similarly and has done what he can to make amends. Don't beat yourself up too much. If you hadn't done it someone else would have done.

• laverite
    laverite

"It is one of the reasons why I was glad I was never an elder. You were under the control of the group so really didn't know better. I know that my husband felt similarly and has done what he can to make amends. Don't beat yourself up too much. If you hadn't done it someone else would have done." <--------- And that comment comes from Nugget, whose JC was today. Nugget, you are pure class. It's people like Nugget who give me hope.

• Gayle
    Gayle

imstuckin,,so glad you have joined this site,,the "Worlds Apart" movie is so moving, a good production to show how it is. JWs would not even apologize about that movie. But non-JWs will find it very informing and be no doubt disgusted with this now publicized reality of JW life.

We are glad to see all here who have left JWs or are in process of leaving. Most of us have regrets for our part to some degree or more, even if we were not an elder. I have left the organization since mid 80s, and still have times of a memory here and there that comes up and slaps me in the face yet, of a stupid thing done or said on my part. We were all used by the organization because of our ignorance, naivite', and misplaced sincerity.

Maybe to forgive others is divine, but maybe that includes for ourselves as well.

• moshe
    moshe

I encourage every former elder to do a mea culpa and make ammends for their past errors. Thank you for sharing this with us. I know I felt better after aplogizing to the sister I Df'd- who wasn't a JW by the time I quit and I know she did appreciate finding out that it was her bro-inlaw who ratted her out by letter to bethel. I know nothing about any paybacks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit