Can Lawyers assist on Judicial Committees?

by bj 16 Replies latest jw friends

• bj
    bj

Do you know of any Judicial Committee cases, were the victim brought a Lawyer to defend him or something similar? At least during the Inquisition they could athough it was rear!

Looking foward for your comments.

Joe

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I've never heard of it but who knows. I would think that the committee
    would argue that a lawyer working for anyone other than WTBTS would have no authority over their afairs. Unless you wanted a lawyer for the purpose of filing a law suit against them for stress or something. I can't imagine it helping someone keep from being df'd.
    plm

• BATHORY
    BATHORY

Yeh G'Day bj;
    there was a cas in brisbane cong i know of where a brother brought a lawyer ( his mate ) with him. The elders didnt like it but he insisted so they pulled out a tape recorder and taped the whole thing. Ill have to check the outcome if your interested

• bj
    bj

Bathory:
    Can you tell me more about this case please. Do you have his e-mail or address?

Joe

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Instructions received by the elders verbally from Australia Branch were: no lawyers!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• bj
    bj

Hi Ozzie,

When did the Australian Elders received such instructions? Or do you know the reason why the Australia Branch did so?

Joe

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day bj,

Like I said, there's nothing in print that I can recall. The instruction was given through the travelling overseers in the early '90s.

We assumed at the time that there was a growing 'intransigence' on the part of some. The Service Department overseer said to me one day that the branch was finding it increasingly difficult to get BOE to comply with instructions from Bethel.

That's the Aussies for you!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Last June I asked if I could bring my lawyer to my JC meeting and was told yes he could come. Then promptly the next morning the elders came by my place of work and told me NO lawyer would be allowed to be present.

So I guess they got in touch with the CO or WT and were told to not allow a lawyer be present,(what does the WT have against lawyers I'd like to know)

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • ianao
    ianao

How about this?

"No lawyer, no meeting."

Sounds good eh? :)

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

I believe if you pose the ultimatum, most bodies will notify the service desk and opt for approval to make the dreaded "announcement" without your input or another meeting.

They don't deliberate too long when it comes to defiance. They move quickly to avoid others mimicking the example.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit