1/1/11 WT Using One Myth to Support Another

by WalkTall 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

sd-7 "I used to wonder why the "tree of life" wasn't still around somewhere if the Garden of Eden existed. "

The "tree of life" is not an actual "tree". The phrase is a metaphor. Much like today when we refer to our lineage as the "family tree" we are not referring to the old oak in the backyard.

The "tree of life" represents those who were meant to be the teachers of the first humans. The first humans were free to "take from this tree" at any time. They were only banned from going to this tree, these "teachers", after having made a conscious choice to choose a different leader.

• Ice cream
    Ice cream

Welcome HayDay!

Exactly my reasoning, Re- Flood. Imagine the distance noah would have covered collecting two of 'every kind' of animal.

From Koala bears & Kangaroos to Polar bears & Lemurs... HUH?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

This reminds me of observations by people who have travelled through that part of the world where the Garden of Eden was supposed to have been:

i.e. around where the borders of Turkey, Iraq and Armenia meet.

Their feelings were unanimous, and to the effect of:

"If this is supposed to be the Garden of Eden, then I would hate to see what Hell looks like!"

Prodigal Son,

Two good points!

1) The JWs would have us believe that the ark as not boat-shaped, but was rather a rectangular wooden box.

My father was from a family of marine engineers, and had himself worked in the shipbuilding industry. I remember him trying to point out to the JWs exactly the same fact that you have brought out - that a box shaped craft of those dimensions would be broken apart very quickly by the forces of waves.

2) And the other one!

- who was the silliest; religion for teaching such an unlikely story, or us for believing it?

Bill.

• designs
    designs

8 people building a football stadium size boat.....no problemo

Remember the Pyramid of Geza had Santa's special helpers....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit