JW Charged with Molesting

by JAVA 8 Replies latest social current

• JAVA
    JAVA

An interesting article from the AP:

The Associated Press

NASHUA, N.H. (AP) - A man charged with molesting three girls argues that meetings where he discussed the accusations with his Jehovah's Witness elders were confidential and can't be used as evidence.

Gregory Blackstock, 45, of Hollis, faces eight counts of rape, punishable by up to 20 years in prison. He is scheduled to be tried in late January.

Before then, however, Judge Bernard Hampsey must determine whether church elders who met with Blackstock to discuss the accusations involving the sisters can be made to testify about their conversations.

By court rules and state law, church ministers can't be made to disclose confessions.

Hillsborough County Attorney Roger Chadwick argues that Blackstock's discussions with the elders does not qualify under the confessional privilege, because the elders also discussed Blackstock's statements with the girls' mother.

Blackstock and his lawyer, Richard Monteith, argue the meetings were confidential, and to intrude on that privacy violates his constitutional freedom to practice his religion.

"Our procedure is a biblical procedure, and it's designed to keep the congregation clean and to bring the wrongdoers to repentance. It is the tenet of our beliefs that everything is held in the strictest confidence," said Joseph Fuoco, an elder who has been subpoenaed to testify.

Edited by - JAVA on 6 January 2001 8:25:9

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Java,

To me, this is the most interesting thing about the situation:

Hillsborough County Attorney Roger Chadwick argues that Blackstock's discussions with the elders does not qualify under the confessional privilege, because the elders also discussed Blackstock's statements with the girls' mother.

Blackstock and his lawyer, Richard Monteith, argue the meetings were confidential, and to intrude on that privacy violates his constitutional freedom to practice his religion.

How can there be confessional priviledge if the elders already talked to someone outside of the supposed confessional?

The elders are playing both sides of the table. Hope the mother has a good lawyer.

waiting

• mommy
    mommy

Is this kinda like the serial killer that confesses to his shrink, and they can't let the shrink testify?
    Even if the guy has KILLED, RAPED, EATEN all of his victims?
    Sorry but WTBS is not the only ORG. in this country that is CRAZY!!
    The laws DO NOT protect us or our children.
    sorry, just another of my outbursts:)
    wendy

• Seven
    Seven

JAVA, When was this story released? I am searching the archives of Nashua and other southern NH newspapers online for related articles and have come up empty. I would like to follow this story. Please post any additional information.

Seven

• yeldell2
    yeldell2

Java:

It is, indeed, unfortunate when one of our brothers and sisters finds
    themselves in this kind of a situation. Increasingly, it seems that
    our brothers (elders) are finding themselves having to deal with
    crimes with the friends. However, it has happened before in the bible
    and probably will continue to occur before Armageddon comes. No
    doubt there have been many precedents set in this kind of a crime, and
    attorneys associated with the WTBTS are ever present to aid elders in
    being able to handle themselves under any circumstances. We do not
    know why the elders spoke with the girl's mother. There could have
    been any number of reasons why, even though this was a person outside
    of the congregation of Jehovah's people. And, with the elders still
    being protected and not having to testify, apparently, they were within their rights to speak to the girl's mother.

We don't know what all the details and reasonings were. We can only
    know that because the elders are a part of Jehovah's organization that
    what was done was proper.

I am a paralegal and have read case histories of witnesses being
    hailed before judges, after having committed crimes. And, as I said
    before, this is, indeed, unfortunate. There are brothers and sister,
    as we speak, incarcerated, for whatever reasons. This is Satan's
    system and we do well to remember that and try to avoid as much of the
    wrong in it as possible. And, in order to do this, we must adhere
    to what we have learned from Jehovah's word.

With Love,

Patricia

Need assistance. Forgot what UserName
    and Email Address was used. Not sure
    I used Email Address listed above.
    But can be contacted there to retrieve
    valued information. Please help!!

• thinker
    thinker

From a previous post from Venice:

"A spokesman at the church's headquarters in New York said there is no prohibition or discouragement in going to legal authorities in the event of child abuse."

J.R. Brown, public affairs director for Jehovah's Witnesses at the church's headquarters in Brooklyn, N.Y., said in a statement that the members of the faith "abhor all forms of wickedness, including child abuse.’’

"If child abuse becomes known to our church elders, they strictly comply with applicable child abuse reporting laws. We also encourage the wrongdoers to do everything they can to set the matter straight with the authorities. Furthermore, we do not prohibit or discourage the victim or the victim's parents from reporting child abuse to the authorities even if the alleged perpetrator is one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

Seems to me the WTBTS position is pretty clear on this issue. There is no confidentiality.
    Would be interesting to see how it turns out.

thinker

• JAVA
    JAVA

Seven:

When was this story released?

That's a good question, and I wondered about that, too. The AP article was a e-mail from someone I receive news and tidbits from, and I've requested the dateline. I'll post it when it comes.

• JAVA
    JAVA

yeldell2:

Increasingly, it seems that our brothers (elders) are finding themselves having to deal with crimes with the friends.

Witness elders and ministers in all dominations face similar difficulties in their religious roles. Confidentiality is important when counseling others, and if it's not maintained, folks are less willing to seek help. As you know, in situations dealing with suicidal tendencies, child abuse, etc., confidentiality is second to the need of protecting individuals, for sound legal and moral reasons.

Many religions struggle with these legal and moral issues, not only for what they are, but when a member is accused of molestation, rape or other crimes, it's considered a reflection on the religious body. As a result, it's tempting to handle some cases without reporting to the legal authorities. That's always a concern when cases of this sort are reported to spiritual leaders; sometimes the stigma is too much to handle correctly.

As you know, in most states in the USA reported child abuse of ANY nature must ALWAYS be reported! It's not up to counselors or elders to ferret out the details. For the reasons I stated above, some religious bodies might be reluctant to do this, thus using confidentiality as a way to circumvent the law.

Edited by - JAVA on 7 January 2001 10:43:26

• JAVA
    JAVA

thinker:

"If child abuse becomes known to our church elders, they strictly comply with applicable child abuse reporting laws.

Well . . . that's not always been the case. JW committees usually operate under the "two or more witnesses." As we know, that doesn't typically happen with reported child abuse. From some of the rumors I've read, the accused in this case has a history of abuse, but the committees didn't proceed because there was only one witness each time. It also appears that the committees didn't report the charges to the legal authorities--clearly against the law in most states.

Edited by - JAVA on 7 January 2001 18:32:51

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit