Tips on Job Interview's being an ex-JW and all of that

by mamalove 10 Replies latest jw friends

• mamalove
    mamalove

Does anyone ever think about when you are an EX JW and did not finish college, and how you handle that?

By luck and skill I have always had a good job without a degree, but I found another opportunity, actually it is a municpal position, not a publicly traded or privately held company which I am used to working for for a decade.

I think I could squeek by on my 10 years of experience in my field, and the fact that I am in the process of enrolling and transferring credits to complete my degree.

So how would you handle that questions: "So do you have a degree in xxxx, what is your education background, etc?"

What I have said in the past, and it has helped as I got a subsequent job offer, is "Due to circumstances, I did get married relatively young, and started a family, and was unable to finish college, because I put raising my children first. However, now that they are older, It is extremely important for me to be a good example, and complete my education, showing them that working, and having a career is important along with a solid education."

"Due to the economy, the tuition reimbursement program was cut from my employer of ten years, so at this time, I am moving forward on my own as it is the right time to do so in my life."

WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU SAY THAT IS BETTER? I am totally open for critiquing.

Being that this is a municipal job, would you dress down or up, or as I normally do, which is skirt, heels and top most days. That seems a little dressy for a city job. But I think it pays well and has good benefits, and the job I could do in my sleep, I know that! So say a little prayer for me please! (JK of course)!! Need some luck, going to drop off my info tomorrow at lunch!!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It can't hurt to dress corporate, with a skirt suit. Silk blouses or good polyester look good. Conservative pumps. It is better to be more formal than informal. I wonder if you could call ahead and ask what attire is appropriate for that work culture.

I face a similar problem due to illness. My problem was that I was at the pinnacle of my profession and lost it all to facial pain for decades. My pain went into remission so I feel I should work again. They aren't family friendly. Many women, though, are is the same boat. There have to be support groups on the internet. Basically, it is a quandary to explain your late degree. It is none fo their business. They may have prejudice against the Witnesses and wonder about your character that you were drawn to a cult. Keep the focus on what you can do for them.

I've found that professional interviews are much nicer experiences than clerical/retail interviews. After all I've said, you rarely know how a person will react to any story. One person may find your story inspirational. Another may be appalled. Personally, I find it inspiring. There is now a cable show called Fairy Jobmother. The hostess is not the most polished person but what she counsels makes sense. Monster and Careerbuilders have forums. You should do extensive research for an interview. My personal experience is that some people treat me as a pariah and others do not. I am the same person. I'm not changing. I keep in mind that I only need one job, not a whole bunch of jobs. Much is luck. (OMG-I forgot, the luck word). Authenticity is also important. In the past, I worried so much about the content of what I was saying, that people thought I was an arrogant private girls school type. I thought I was projecting scared rabbit. Role playing helped me.

Your college placement office should help you with all of the above. Tuition pays for it.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I can't think of a single thing that you could say that would improve on the answer you already have locked and loaded. Probably works a lot better than:

"I was in a G0d damn cult that kept promising me that the end of the world was imminent and that I was soon to spend 1000 years burying corpses followed by millions of years petting pandas, any other questions?"

• mamalove
    mamalove

LMAO LostGeneration. OMG, that s hilarious!!

BandOnTheRun, I wish you much luck! Keep me posted on your search!

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I love college. I hope you can go back one day and finish. It is a lot of fun, especially as a normal person. No pressure, no awkwardness around the hoildays, just blending in and making friends.

:-)

-MF31-

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

What I have said in the past, and it has helped as I got a subsequent job offer, is "Due to circumstances, I did get married relatively young, and started a family, and was unable to finish college, because I put raising my children first. However, now that they are older, It is extremely important for me to be a good example, and complete my education, showing them that working, and having a career is important along with a solid education."

"Due to the economy, the tuition reimbursement program was cut from my employer of ten years, so at this time, I am moving forward on my own as it is the right time to do so in my life."

WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU SAY THAT IS BETTER?

I think it's perfect!!

Nothing to add, except good luck for the interview!!

• Scully
    Scully

I think what you've said is great.

You might want to elaborate and give specific examples of things that you are doing to further your education or improve your marketable skills in the area where you are working, like attending night classes or taking online courses toward your degree. If you work in a multi-cultural environment where there are other languages spoken, you could include conversational classes in the languages of the clientèle who are served by you, or even personal interest classes in those cultures.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I did not express myself well and I feel I have valuable experience. In sum, the worse thing you can do is to be overly sensitive about how they will view your absence. I was a lawyer in a Wall St. firm. Partners had no negative views about young people going over to Indian and Tibet to learn a form of flute music. As a Witness, I am a people-pleaser and expect rejection. I've caused my own rejection by not accepting that I am fine and a great catch for most employers. Computers can perform robotic activity today. Employers need humans to add discretion and creativity. Interesting people are an asset.

You've done well in college. It would be over the top to tell them about the Society. Also, employers are very afraid of religious discrimination suits. My employer would not discuss my situation with my doctor when I became ill. I feel strongly that Witnesses learn traits that freed of the WT are valuable to employers. It takes courage to leave the society.

Go for it! You will do fine.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

hmmmm interesting Mind if I use the idea for a column?

• mamalove
    mamalove

Lady Lee, go for it. Send me the link when you are done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit