Why GB does not want couples to have children?

by faqs7719 21 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty
    WT organized religion is obsessed with controlling the reproductive organs of its members.

fixed that for ya :-)

• metatron
    metatron

You start with the basics of the Bible recommending singleness and that - greatly -taken -out - of -context scripture about 'woe to the pregnant women' in those days.

Bethel is not - and never has been - a child-loving subculture. It's not a subculture that appreciates sex, either. Thank God for Sydlik and his gonzo hot wife - when I was there.

The funny thing about singleness and avoiding childbearing is that I used to wonder how effective any of it was in advancing 'the preaching work'. I knew lots of old single guys at Bethel who were eccentric hypochondriacs and didn't seem all that productive. Meanwhile, the married guys neglected their wives (very Theocratic) and got most of the hard work done.

There's a paradoxical comment I remember: if you want something done, ask a busy man. The busy man tends to accomplish things. It's his nature. Might be true for married guys over single, too.

metatron

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FAQS7719: I think you are right and it is all about money and how they imagine that a childless couple will leave their assets to the religion. They also figure that a childless couple (especially the woman) might be available to do favors for all the users in the congregation. Yes, I feel it is all about what they can get from the gullible followers.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Money, sex .., you're all on the wrong track. My wife and I waited more than 10 years before having children and our focus changed immediately. Children introduced a complicating factor in our life that came between us and the org. Sick, tired or crying babies meant we were more inclined to miss meetings or walk out early, ditto for field service even as the kids grew older.

The birthday/Christmas issue suddenly developed a new focus and we began to question the justification for that doctrine. Having children to focus on meant we were dealing with the real world, real people outside the org, and the the JW thing retreated in importance. I think having children became an important step in our departure from the JWs.

I see other couples who, because they have no children, maintain that focus on the organization because they have nothing else in their lives. And I think that's what the society wants.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MrMonroe: Not to argue, but money IS the bottom line as far as I am concerned. Yes, it is true that children forces JWs to deal with the REAL world and it takes them away from the organization. So, of course, a childless couple can devote more time to the religion not just because they attend more meetings, but also more field service, studies and more money put in the contribution box that isn't spent on school clothing, supplies, braces etc.

• Listener
    Listener

Well put Clarity. They are obsessed, even to the point of ignoring the Divine Arrangement. They love to brag that they have done one better than the World. They are not having children not because of careers or finances but to do God's work. They're hatred for the world and it's ways makes them rejoice in finding ways that make them different.

Some of them presume to think that they will be able to have children in the New System and what a great presumption that is. This self judgement demonstrates that they believe they are good enough to be saved and will be saved but also they presume to declare already what God will or will not let them do.

They know that the resurrected for a start will not be able to have children. They have no idea what the New System will bring (they say that book isn't opened yet). They think that they are going to tiptoe through the most turbulent time this world has ever seen, with earthquakes, pestilences and all sorts of natural disasters even before mankind turns on himself and then finally God's steps in so that all are not destroyed.

• designs
    designs

It is tied to the old Christian notion of Original Sin, or as the Catholic Church taught Concupiscence and the Fall of Man. Corporal Mortification followed. Priets who would not marry because Jesus did not marry. Monastaries, Bethel you name it became weird places.

Some here may remember the early 70s when the Society made oral and anal sex in marriage a disfellowshipping offense. I remember one meeting, I was a young single guy in my 20s, a Servant, and sitting with a group of married Elders who were genuinely disturbed about having sex with their wives. They were unnerved about simple foreplay. All of a sudden the whole group turned to me, like what did I think, I was like- guys I'm still trying to get past first base

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Designs, you didn't offer to do their dirty work for them? "Here I am, call me!"

• designs
    designs

MM-

A couple of them had Hot wives, I think I could have muddled my way through it

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

That's very funny. I remember an elder's wife recalling her shock at seeing a movie in which there was a lovemaking scene and the woman was .... wait for it ... on top. I mean, can you imagine it? How perverted is that? What kind of animalistic behavior is that?

I pity those poor Witnesses who have been shocked into submission by the Society about what they can and cannot do in their own beds with their own spouses. They fear that God is watching them with every move they make, and that the dutiful spouse will let the elders know if tongues or fingers drift into places where they ought not go.

A female friend (an ex-Witness) told of a conversation she'd had with another female friend (ex-Witness) who'd split from her dimwit JW husband and spent the night with a male friend she'd subsequently become attached to. She was simply gushing about the sheer sensuality of it and told my friend, "I had no idea sex could be so good." What had she been missing out on? And is her experience amplified a thousand-fold in every Witness grouping?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit