How JW's Have Fun

by Sour Grapes 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• agonus
    agonus

"How JWs Have Fun"... is beyond me.

• Listener
    Listener

Did they also wear masks with happy smiles on them?

There should be more of these get togethers, especially for the children. There was a period of time that the youths in our congregation had get togethers and they were good fun. It was once a month and we had an hour discussion at the start where we would pick a specific topic and discuss it, there was an elder who would oversee this. It really helped us to grow spiritually as we could think, debate and discuss issues together. One topic, for instance, was about self defence and there were various views, we were able to consider different scenarious and come up with a very christian approach. We also got to know each other as human beings, our strengths and weaknesses, our fears and joy and a better understanding of each other.

We became real friends and our hello's and smiles to each other in the hall were no longer fake.

There should be more of them and without too many restrictions. Putting a bit of thought into the planning (e.g. arranging dress ups) can be good but gets to be a drag after a while unless you have an organiser who loves to do it. Most of us just love the companionship and you don't get that to any real degree at the Hall.

• watson
    watson

Judging from my "facebook friends", it looks like there's a lot of drinking going on!

• carla
    carla

What most jw's enjoy more than anything else is finding fault with everything. It is like a game with them. It could be a beautiful day with nary a

a cloud in the sky and they would say it looks like rain. A group of teenagers could be feeding the poor, helping the elderly and feeding

the starving out of their own pockets and yet the jw would find fault. That is their fun, to crap on the rest of the world no matter what

they do to try and make it a better place. Once the crap-fest is over then comes the fantasy of their new system. It is much easier

to live in a fantasy life than actually do anything tangible in life.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well, it depends on what kind of "Witness" they are. I know some halls have dances and others that frown upon that,and their idea of fun is a Watchtower study and snacks afterward.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Just think....a world full of nothing but Jehovah's Witness!

Can you imagine? How dreadful!

LOL

-MF31-

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Singing those new Kingdumb Maladies fun? I think I would rather have fun getting a root canal.

To compare, around the early 1990s I spent Christmas Eve into Christmas Day at the place of one of the hounders. For fun, I got to attend the book study at his place, after which we had pizza. Then, once everyone was gone, I spent the night there. At around 6:30, we got up--they wanted me to go out in field circus on Christmas Day! Good thing it snowed enough so the father had to work, blowing field circus. Instead, we spent some time playing a few tame racing games on a Nintendo, and found a few wimpy toys around.

The highlight of this waste was that we took a drive to the A$$embly Hell. Of course, there was no a$$embly going on because it was mid-week. On the way back from touring the a$$embly hell, we stopped by an empty Kingdumb Hell. To me, that was a complete waste of a perfectly good Christmas morning.

• cognac
    cognac

Wonder what they would do if you wanted to be a stripper?

• Satanus
    Satanus

When i was a jw, we actually did a lot of things for fun. To name a few: a road rally, scavenger hunt, ski trips, canoe trips, hiking/camping trips in the mountains, round the world trips w the society's travel program, bowling, masquerade parties, boozing around the camp fire, fishing trips, etc. Maybe, it has changed, maybe the crowds i hung w were more cool than the average jw. Maybe, i was a 'bad' influence.

S

• life is to short
    life is to short

When I was a JW the best I can think of was once a year we tubed down a river, but that was looked down on. I know they had parties but I was never invited. I know there was a lot of drinking. Once I got married my husband was the only elder and no one invited us to anything.

I remember a CO telling me our fun was going out in service, the new system was when we could really enjoy life for now it was work.

I used to love running and road races that little towns would put on each year when I was single I would do one once a month after I got married I was told I was taking time from Jehovah and that I really should not be doing them.

No fun was the JW way for me.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit