What made this so controversial?

by iamwhoiam 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sd-7
    sd-7

Even if it never happened, assuming that the Gospels recorded more or less what DID happen, I still think it reflects what Jesus would have done under those circumstances. He easily forgave known prostitutes and other sinners without hesitation, much to the chagrin of the Pharisees. I find it odd, though, that the NWT would even include those verses if they were known to be spurious. Especially given the content. I like the verses and wish that that really happened exactly that way.

I thought the idea of Jesus writing on the ground kind of implied a casual contempt for the attitude of the religious leaders who were bringing this woman to him with all these accusations. Perhaps he wrote something significant, but these are interesting thoughts. I think, if anything, those verses are some of the best about Jesus, even if it's a totally fictitious account.

--sd-7

• Perry
    Perry

Burgon, ibid p 147, states that the dislocation of John 7:53-8:11 (see notes under RSV and GN) is attributable to four cursives, 13, 69, 124, 346, all evidently from one ancient and corrupt copy.

Ruckman (2) p 134, cites in favour of the passage, the Didache (3rd century document of Apostolic Teachings), Apostolic Constitutions (4th century) and Eusebius (324 AD) citing Papias (150 AD) as recognizing the passage. The Montanists (2nd century) were also aware of the passage. Ruckman (31) p 333, also cites besides D, uncials M, S and Gamma from the 5th, 8th and 9th centuries in favour of this passage. Concerning authorship of the passage (see note under JB), Hills (38) p 130, states that "arguments from style are notoriously weak." Berry's Greek text supports this passage.

Many of the early manuscripts and papyri have it, the earliest church fathers quote it as scripture, and it is Johannine in style. Why then was it excised by some copyists? Probably because the early church got away from the radical message of grace very quickly. [2]

It is obvious to any born again Christian why Religionists would want to minimize or eliminate this scripture.

RELIGION SAYS: "Change, or I will condemn you." The fear and threat of God's condemnation is always potentially hanging over our heads in order to "keep us in line." This does not promote deep and lasting change. People who live under this tend to have a superficial and self-righteous kind of holiness.

GRACE SAYS: "I have forgiven and accepted you. Now respond to my love by allowing me to change your life." Loving gratitude is the most powerful motivator in the universe. We don't change in order to be accepted, but because we have been accepted. Real righteousness is practicing love toward God and others. Nothing motivates this kind of lifestyle like forgiveness received. This is why grace, properly understood and appropriated, produces a superior righteousness in the lifestyle of its recipient.

Article

• Listener
    Listener

Another view could be that he was demonstrating that there was a new law or new principles that were replacing what was previously written in the old law.

Jesus forgave this sinner without question, knowing also that she had made it a practice of sinning and everyone was aware of it. On the other hand at a disfellowshipping meeting with the elders it doesn't matter if you are genuine in repentance. They still come to their own judgement depending on the nature of the offence and decide whether to disfellowship someone or not?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It may also have unsettled some because it seems to suggest Jesus was a sinner. He said let he who is without sin cast the first stone, noone steps forward to do it followed then by Jesus saying, 'me neither'.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    RELIGION SAYS: "Change, or I will condemn you." The fear and threat of God's condemnation is always potentially hanging over our heads in order to "keep us in line." This does not promote deep and lasting change. People who live under this tend to have a superficial and self-righteous kind of holiness.
    GRACE SAYS: "I have forgiven and accepted you. Now respond to my love by allowing me to change your life." Loving gratitude is the most powerful motivator in the universe. We don't change in order to be accepted, but because we have been accepted. Real righteousness is practicing love toward God and others. Nothing motivates this kind of lifestyle like forgiveness received. This is why grace, properly understood and appropriated, produces a superior righteousness in the lifestyle of its recipient.

Very well put Perry :)

• wobble
    wobble

In a previous thread on the pericope de adultera I remembered that I had seen an old Silent Movie of this event, and as a hypocrite advances, rock raised ready to throw, he looks over Jesus' shoulder at what he is writing, and sees his own sin written there.

Jesus then wipes out that man's sin, in the sand, as the man drops his rock and, distraught and no doubt a little frightened, leaves the vicinity.

I thought it a wonderful interpretation of the story.

It is my gut feeling that preserved within this, we have some of the true words and teaching of Jesus, which the politicised, male dominated church of later centuries would want hidden.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit