Would you buy a 2 cylinder, 875cc petrol car that returns almost 70mpg?

by lifelong humanist 26 Replies latest jw friends

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Hi Little Imp

Thanks for responding to my thread - I vaguely recall that the valleys in Wales can be quite steep, and prone to sharp frosts during Winter. I fully understand your point re. expensive 4X4's as a means of getting around during adverse weather. Sometimes, though, a light FWD car can get through when big 4X4's struggle - it depends largely on the choice of tyres - snow tyres make all the difference! It is no surprise to me that the cost of fitting snow tyres in the UK this year has risen to the point that few people can afford to fit them!

lifelong humanist

• james_woods
    james_woods

Good to hear from you again, Lifelong Humanist. Glad to hear that you are keeping the Miata, too.

I just found out that both of my hydraulic pumps are leaking from the seals on the Rolls Royce, so will have to fix that right after the first of the year. About $1600 - crum.

Still figuring out how to tell the old lady about this - after I told her that nothing ever breaks on a Rolls Royce. It is actually getting more expensive to keep than my 25 year old Ferrari.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Tiny little thing.

BTS

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Tiny little thing.
    BTS

True dat - but his performance figures are a lot better than I figured they would be. Still looks too small for me in Texas, but who knows? I may just get something along these lines to keep at the cabin in Colorado. I had been thinking about a restored 1970s Volkswagen Thing.

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Thanks for the reply, and sorry that your RR needs expensive treatment to keep it roadworthy, james_woods.

I've never driven a RR, but used to enjoy driving the Bentley equivalent (in Mason's Black) back in the mid-70's as a fully expensed, company car! People used to let you out at road junctions, and were generally very courteous to you - not so, now! IKt was such a 'cocooned experience'

While it must be a major cost for you to bear the repair bill, the RR car might be worth the extra-over expense of 'lesser' cars?

lifelong humanist

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Cabin in Colorado? I'd be leaning towards a Land Rover Defender. Too bad tightening vehicle standards banished that vehicle from our shores.

BTS

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Burn The Ships

Yes, the car's small - but can seat 4/5 average sized adults (maybe not 'average' size Americans, though?). It produces a quite respectable 85PS. Early in 2011, FIAT will produce an even healthier 105PS model - just like my first AlfaSud back in 1975! - great car, appalling build-quality, though!

Small can be beautiful, don't you think?

lifelong humanist

• james_woods
    james_woods
    While it must be a major cost for you to bear the repair bill, the RR car might be worth the extra-over expense of 'lesser' cars?

It is - but I still have the red-ass because I just spent $2700 on it to replace the rear hydro suspension struts and the accumulator, and it started leaking within 500 miles. I had never driven one either, but my dealer found it from a local estate when I was looking for a 4-door sedan. I was just about to buy a Jaguar XJ8, so maybe I am actually better off maintenance-wise than that.

Cabin in Colorado? I'd be leaning towards a Land Rover Defender. Too bad tightening vehicle standards banished that vehicle from our shores.

Well, the new Land Rover looks pretty good too. Or, even - an old well preserved Grand Wagoneer. I don't really have to buy anything for Colorado yet, we just drive up there in my Porsche for a month in the summer. We figured if we were both retired we could put a car there if we wanted to spend more time and fly up, but that will be a few years yet before we retire. It does have a 2-car separate garage, so we can leave a car there over the winter.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Oh, crud (peace to you all!). Well, there goes my love affair with the Mini (4 cyl., 37 mpg)... which was gonna be my next car... maybe... after either an Audi or another Lex. Or a SmartCar (3 cyl., 71 mpg). Besides a Vespa, that is (which is GONNA happen and will be great once the Bay Bridge... which has taken, what, 22 years now, and is STILL not finished... is finished??).

The price (for the Fiat) isn't all that bad new ($15,500 USD fully loaded w/manual trannie): way better than the Mini ($21,000 USD and up) and competitive with the SmartCar, if you don't need a backseat ($11,900-$16,990). I do.

The Fiat on the website link was... purrrrrrty. (Your eye, Shelby - keep you eye SIMPLE, girl!)

Ah, well. Probably gonna end up with some kind of SUV (so's I can ride high... and cart the puppies around).

Lovely automobile, dear LH. Peace to you and thanks for sharing!

SA, on her own...

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Burn The Ships

I still struggle to recommend LR products - especially their classic Defender model!

I used to have a 2.5 litre diesel 10 seater LR Defender Station Wagon 20 years ago. At the time, our 4 boys thought it was great to be driven in. However, it was the worst car I've ever had - it was unreliable, it leaked every time it rained (just about every other day) and was the noisiest vehicle I've ever had the displeasure to own! Some tractors were quieter to drive! I was shocked at how quickly it lost major value, but was just so relieved to part company with it. I believe that LR quality control is far better now - especially on their world-class, better built Range Rover products.

lifelong humanist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit