"How Awful This Place Can Be!" Life at Bethel by Keith Casarona

by Dogpatch 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

The summers were miserable after a 2-week Spring. The factory where all the huge presses were was NOT air conditioned, we did have fans. It would be 100 degrees outside and 110 in the pressroom, you wore a headband to keep the sweat out of your eyes at times. You woke up sweating in your bed in the summer.

Heat in the rooms was through steam pipes, which were turned OFF like 9PM or earlier, and didn't turn on until 5 or 6 AM. It was cold. I ended up with a penthouse corner room of the 107 Columbia Heights building, with an outstanding view of Manhattan from the Statue of Liberty way down the East River. The Twin Towers and Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges were my view. They were just finishing up the Towers when I got there. The following pictures were taken by getting on the roof directly above my room. My little Minolta, but took damn good pictures (slides).

about 1977

Entertaining the kids from my congregation in my Bethel room.

One view from my room

Pressroom boys: me, Tom Cabeen, Hoe operator, and Jim Rizzo.

When the Margaret Hotel was arsoned the night before it was to open because it was under code. All wood. The fire trucks could not put out the smoke for a WEEK because they couldn't get inside. The fire truck got embedded in the street under 3 feet of ice. Wind chill was 30 below zero. This building was about 50 feet from my window! The society later bought it and rebuilt it.

Out my right window: scroll to right to see Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, Twin Towers, Empire State Building, etc.

View from my room at sunset.

The Wood-Hoe was purchased by Nathan Knorr (3rd Watchtower President) at the peak of the 1975 fever. It was a prototype costing $1.6 million with three huge letterpress cylinders about 54" in diameter and 72" wide. It was designed to print 100,000 "Truth" books a day and was directly connected to a bindery upstairs. Chief Engineer (and formerly my roommate) Milan Miller was in charge of getting it going, but was away most of the time setting up presses in other countries. Eventually, I got the job.

The problem with the Wood-Hoe was that the cylinders were made up of magnetic, concentric rings that expanded and contracted so much during the course of the day (we had no air conditioning) that the printing looked like it was done with rubber stamps. Just webbing up the press took a case of books in paper, it was 70" wide and moved very fast. The press created such sway in the building when we ran it, the lathes in the machine shop on the floor below us could not keep register. The press was eventually sold to a low bidder in another country. After 1975, they had decided to print pretty books instead, as they could make much more money and woo in more people at the door. This was a monster press; two stories tall and 100 feet long. My baby! LOL

• Farkel
    Farkel

Randy,

:I had to be a perfectionist. Beat the two cute broads in 6th grade who wanted to take me down in a school final spelling match. I beat their cute butts good.

Wow.

Farkel

• Scott77
    Scott77

marked for later reading

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL @ 6:11 in the GB video re the short time left to Armageddon way back when.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I really like the photo of the "squibb" bldgs (25/30) Randy. This is what the 25 bldg looked like during my first visit to bethel in 1977! (broken windows probably fixed!) I liked the terrace wall on the roof with the sign "The Watchtower Announcing Jehovah's Kingdom" and the tower on top with the painted watchtower on all 4 sides and the smaller buildings on the right!!! In 1979 they tore down the smaller buildings to make room for the 11 story office bldge and they took down the tower (for safety reasons) when rennovating the 25 bldg for offices. They removed the terrace walls to install the solarium as an inexpensive way to raise the ceiling of the twelth floor. They never put the tower back up. I never felt the building looked quite right-but the society thought it was a great looking office building! I liked the way it looked before the rennovation and construction!!! It just seemed unusual and special to me-I even had dreams about it!

I remember my friend who worked in the pressroom office telling me about the wood-hoe press and how the magnetic plates never worked quite right. It was supposed to be able to print 100,000 pocket-sized books per day! Too bad it did'nt work.

Did you realize when you were working there that the Adams Street printery was at that time the 3rd largest printery in the world?!!! ( Only the GPO and one of RR Donnelley's plants were larger!)

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Factfinder: I finally did get the Wood-Hoe running, and Max Larson said print 100,000 books. They were "Truth" books. Because of the plate variations due to temperature and the concentric rings, each page looked different, with light and thick type. Like a rubber stamp.So the press ran fine, it's just the print that looked like crap.

So Larson gave them all away to members of the Bethel family who wanted them. I saved one that got stuck in the cutter upstairs in the shape of a tombstone!! hahahahaha

Dogz

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

As for the size of the printery, we knew it was near tops. In the mid-70s we printed enough books EVERY DAY to make a stack twice as tall as the Empire State building. EVERY DAY. That didn't include the mags, and now the WT has the largest circulation of any rag in the world. We unloaded multiple railroad cars of rolls of paper 3 feet tall every day. One book or mag press (except for stuff on cigarette (er, ah, Bible) paper like we ran on 3/6 ran through a roll in about 35 minutes, think 8 hours a day! And we had 40+ of them in Brooklyn alone. Imagine sucking up 420 huge rolls of paper a day if 3/4 of the presses were running. Plus there was the old Hoe presses that ate up a lot. (Not Wood-Hoe).

One of the 40 MAN presses, which cost $250,000 each when I got there, and went yp to $440,000 for the last few. This is a Bible press, because the paper is so white. Lots of titanium dioxide in the paper, very little paper really. :-)) That's why it is used for cigarette paper - it burns slow becuae it is mostly chemicals.

Tom Cabeen (left) was assistant floor overseer in the rotary pressroom under Richard Wheelock. "Wheels" was on the Factory Committee most of the time I was there, so he was always upstairs while we ran the 6th floor. I was floor overseer of the building #3 sixth floor (Bibles, AID book, Make Sure, Concordance), Jim Petrie (right) was overseer of the building #1 floor, as well as Fred Fredean in building #2. Peach (Jim) was later in charge of offset printing and I was sentenced to the Wood-Hoe in the end, which had caused several mechanics to lose the desire to serve at Bethel and Milan Miller to exit gracefully. :-))

Gloria and Tom Cabeen.

As all the trouble unravelled in 1979, Tom would share in private what was going on in the Service Depts. and Governing Body over the Franz Incident. He and his wife Gloria were privy to information from several key departments. This, along with material I gleaned from the Bethel Elders' meetings, as well as sitting at the Bethel table every morning and listening to the Governing Body, made a clear picture of what was happening.

Tom Snaps me with a huge rubber band as we take out our anxieties. ("Will we get caught talking about these things?") Many who were at Bethel during that time knew very little about the Governing Body and Service Dept. covert operations. Even Bethel Elders, like "Fish" (stooping over in the background) were clueless about our discussions. Darold Block (right, smiling), on the other hand, took it all in stride. We kept the other elders in suspense. They knew we were up to no good, but they never figured it out.

Mark Cent gets "opened up" in one of the lighter moments of hazing on our floor. From left to right: James Rizzo (foreground), Ron Walker, Thomas Hagen, ____, and Mark Cent (who later returned my "What Happened At the World Headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses In The Spring of 1980?" essay in very tiny bits in an envelope. It was the first printed story of what happened by an insider (printed in 1981). Crisis of Conscience was next, the most influential work of all concerning the Watchtower.

A more serious moment of hazing, the guys from upstairs dare to use our walkway!

pics from http://www.randallwatters.com/Bethel/scrapbook.htm

D

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

This didn't come out fully in an earlier picture as it was to large for the page, so I shrunk it so you could see my view at night.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thank you Randy! I remember seeing that big wood-hoe press on the factory tours but it was not running. Those TRUTH books you made were souveniers!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Marked for later

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit