Latest research findings: The more believers doubt their own beliefs, the more they proselytize in favor of them .

by AndersonsInfo 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    In light of this study, do you think the Witnesses who are the most vigorous in defending their religion, really doubt their beliefs?

Very interesting article Barb and I'd have to say "yes---many of them actually do doubt their beliefs." Since my brother in law's death was directly attributed to the religion's ban on blood transfusions, my sister has become almost vigorous in her defense of why the WTS is right: Jehovah does not want us to take blood. She's done research on the internet that highlights the risks involved with taking blood transfusions and tells me all about it, but I always feel that it's more to convince herself rather than me.

I believe she does this because there is no way she could live with herself if she accepted the fact that the Society's warped interpretation of the dietary laws for the Israelites from 3,500 years ago, has nothing to do with blood transfusions today. To admit that would be to admit that her husband could very well be alive today had it not been for this doctrine and that is something she will not do---faced with that bombshell would very likely kill her, I do not exagerate.

Therefore, she does exactly what the study revealed: She vigorously defends a doctrine that I think deep down she knows is wrong and not scriptural at all. My dad does the same thing. Although he got royally screwed over on his pension (Armageddon would be here looooong before he retired) and nearly died twice due to the blood doctrine, he is adament that the Big A is 'right around the corner', even though I think deep down, he realizes he was lied to all his life and that he will die one day.

Very sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit