Follow up from Hi

by WSEV12 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• WSEV12
    WSEV12

Hi everyone,

I felt welcomed by the warm response I got to my last question. My experience has been mixed in some Christian forums and I am never sure what to expect but the people here do seem warm.

Because I do not want people to feel threatened in any way - though it would probably be help to all - I usually try not to discuss my beliefs but some have asked what they are and it may be helpful to the nature of the question.

Right now, I am going through a spiritual search and looking to see where I fit in. I do have liberal beliefs about God and Jesus and am not sure in what church I would fit. I do admire Jesus as a wise person and do believe he has divine qualities but I am nervous about having an organization tell me what my conscience should be.

It would be appreciated if anyone could suggest what churches if any I may fit. I am not sure if my path is a Christian one, given that my beliefs may differ a bit from the norm. Usually when I am on a typical Christian chat, some will get annoyed with me and ask why I don't believe the same way and it does push me off.

I thank all here for their patience and hospitality and wish you a wonderful day,

-William

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I'd like to help you, but right now, I'd say I'm done with churches of any kind. I'll muddle through on my own....

• flipper
    flipper

WILLIAM- Good to hear from you again. A lot of strange things have been done in the name of " Christianity " . You are wise to be cautious about seeking a church which isn't just handing you a line to deceive you. Personally- I'm agnostic and don't go to ANY church, however I've heard from some religious churchgoers that a non-denominational church can satisfy some people's " spiritual " quest. I respect people's freedom to choose.

I wish you the best on your journey and try to keep an open mind as you educate yourself for sure. Some really good books that have helped me after exiting the witnesses in 2003 were " Crisis of Conscience " by Raymond Franz and " Combatting Cult Mind Control " & " Releasing the Bonds- Empowering People to Think for Themselves ". These books benefitted me immensely to think and reason on MANY things- including religion. So- just a thought. Take care and have a wonderful Christmas and New Years ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

If I went to church, I would go here: http://www.kentuu.org/

A lot of people with whom I went to college attend there. But it's about 45 minutes from my house, and I'm too lazy to make the drive.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

William,

No one can make the church or religion choice for you, dear one. If a person wants someone else to make choices for him/her, then the JWs is the place to be. It is all about high control and rules.

Ultimately, each person has their own path to follow. No one can do the journey for you, and it is a journey of discovery---yours.

Best,

ESTEE

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Estee has said it best.

No one can tell you which way to go. By all means ask for suggestions, and search out whatever paths appeal to you.

But ultimately, the choice is yours. No one can tell you what is the "right" choice. The only right choice is one that rests best for you.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Check out Universal Unitarian. Seems bit of a generic church where you can take what you want/need and leave the rest. I went to Christmas service with some xjw's and felt very comfortable.

-Aude.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Why choose Xtian?

Should I be one because my parents were?

Should I blow myself up in a market place to get my 72 virgins just because my mum wears a burka?

Welcome to the forum

Chris

• mouthy
    mouthy

William Good to hear from you again
    My opinion about what church to attend? I think I have attended most.
    I believe WE are the stones of the Church ,Christ is the foundation
    WE are the bricks that build on it. The HOLY Spirit( the teacher ) will
    endwell us, I believe MY CREATOR gave me a brain to think,Yes it has
    lead me in many pitfalls ,UNTIL I became "BORN AGAIN" when & how
    did that happen? I went to a convention at BLUE MOUNTAIN where there
    was about 300 EX JWs,Mormans,( mostly EX JWS)I listened to all there
    testimonies ,All were telling what happened to them,After they invited
    Jesus to be their LORD & SAVIOUR,At that moment I thought I would try it
    ( didnt really think it would work) & that was OCT 20th 1989,& believe me
    ( dont blame you for thinking I am a weirdo)My life has NOT been the same
    I became a child of GOD!!! not childish but childlike,I ask Jesus what to do
    when to do it ,I can honestly say HE hasnt let me down.The teacher( Holy Spirit)
    through my conscience lets me know when i have muffed up. I dont go to church
    But I do like Dr Jerimiah,Charles Price,Charles Stanley,Thats it,I think Unitairian is
    another cult. Went there also,also Two,-by-twos,when I was searching.

You asked I told ya!!!!

• Heaven
    Heaven

Hi William... each of us must find our own paths.

I think this is something you may wish to take some time to decide on. I agree with Black Sheep. Do a bit of research on other faiths. There is much to be learned from them.

One of the things I had to start defining was my Spirituality. I believe it is much more than attending a church and believing something that can't actually be proven. I personally would rather help someone less fortunate than attend church. Handing out Craptower magazines certainly didn't resonate with my Spirituality even when I was a teenager.

Personally, I am currently researching Wicca. Since the JWs and Christians in general seem very opposed to anything Pagan (uh, yeah...), I decided to read up on Wicca to see if what I had been taught was accurate. Wow... have I ever been lied to. I am having oodles of fun.

I hope you can find the path that resonates with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit