If this man had never lived YOUR LIFE would be entirely different! Part 1

by Terry 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

It is really quite striking what a monumental DISPROOF can do to a True Believer by driving them (astonishingly) DEEPER into their delusions rather than refuting them!!

The more falsified a belief the more it is clung to with stubborn assurance AS THOUGH such a display of hard-headed immobility were a virtue!

For many believers, after the Great Disappointment came and went TWICE they just could not and would not return to their old church and face their former friends with humility!

You might almost declare this very act of stubborn refusal to be a badge of "honor" to such people.

Just as true today for Jehovah's Witnesses as it was for early Adventists.

• Perry
    Perry
    The more falsified a belief the more it is clung to with stubborn assurance AS THOUGH such a display of hard-headed immobility were a virtue!

Kinda reminiscient of Darwin's failed predictions and his followers various responses doesn't it?

http://darwinspredictions.com/

• designs
    designs

Describes Evangelical Fundamentalists as well hmmm Perry.

Reading through your link reminded me of reading the Awake.

• bohm
    bohm

That list Perry posted is such a load of garbage. Here is a typical excerpt:

For instance, in the 1970s bacteria were found that could metabolize nylon, even though nylon synthesis had begun only a few decades earlier. Bacteria had been exposed to nylon via the waste water from factories, and now the bacteria could live off the new chemical. The bacteria had modified an existing enzyme (mainly via a frameshift) to create a new enzyme that degrades nylon oligomers. The slow, unguided mechanism envisioned by evolutionists could not have reacted so quickly. And furthermore the mechanism is repeatable as the enzyme has been found more than once. As one evolutionist admitted, “The swiftness with which these two enzymes have evolved is truly remarkable, for several decades are but a flash in the evolutionary time scale.?[ 13]

Apparently, if a beneficial mutation which alter a part of the genetic code, thereby creating a new enzyme, is selected for and fixed in the population which thereby gain a new capeabilities, that is not really evolution at all.

why?

Well, according to this genius, since he dont expect "the slow unguided mechanism" to do this, it didnt really happend. "But you just said it happened, both in the laboratory and in the field and all parts of the process is known!" , the non-lobotomized reader might wonder. Well, according to the writer, since the experiment was repeatable that proove it didnt really happend by evolution. WTF?!

The writer is using full circular logic. Furthermore, he support his own circular logic by saying that the more times something is observed to occur, the more it proove it could not happend. How he managed to type that out without drolling in the keyboard remains a mystery.

Perry, is it time for the soft-tissue troll yet, or do you want to pull out the human footprint "found" by the convicted murderer?

• Gerard
    Gerard
    Kinda reminiscient of Darwin's failed predictions and his followers various responses doesn't it? - Perry

I have seldom seen so much bovine excrement in a single page (http://darwinspredictions.com/ )

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Before the thread goes off on a tangent, discussing Darwin.....May I thank Terry for an interesting read.....I just wonder though whether our lives would be so different if Miller had not been who he was.. I just think that C T R would have latched on to somebody else

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    By the age of 30, Miller faced the War of 1812 as the Captain of the local regiment of infantry.
    He met the challenge of the British by facing off with his men at the Battle of Plattsburg.

There wasn`t One Soldier in the whole British Army,that could shoot Miller?..

"Dam the British Army!"..

http://www.blupete.com/Hist/NovaScotiaBk2/Part5/Images/UniformSummersChartrand02.jpg

........................... ...OUTLAW

• Ding
    Ding

Twelve Steps to a Prophecy Cult

1. Someone comes up with a specific prediction based on their unique understanding of Bible prophecy.

2. Convinced that God has given them special insight, they announce it to the public.

3. They develop a small following but most people laugh at them or simply ignore them.

4. They counterattack with ridicule of their own.

5. The day arrives and the prediction fails.

6. Their opponents laugh them to scorn.

7. They try to figure out what went wrong.

8. Crisis point: Do they humble themselves and admit that their entire "insight from God" was a delusion as critics have said all along?

9. Unable to accept this humiliation, they decide that their date calculation was correct but that they expected the wrong thing; something of significance DID happen -- INVISIBLY -- which only spiritual ones with "eyes of understanding" can see.

10. They announce their conclusion.

11. They are laughed at again but a core of followers sticks with them.

12. They denounce everyone who doesn't see the "truth" of teaching as deceived by Satan, and a full blown cult is born.

• Terry
    Terry

Kinda reminiscient of Darwin's failed predictions and his followers various responses doesn't it?

If we keep in mind that Darwin lived in the middle of the 1800's in an analog world with only his powers of observation and a keen intelligence, his

ideas have proved to be largely astonishingly useful to science.

The mistake is linking Darwin to what biologists and science in general NOW know with the technology available.

Naysayers to Evolution as a current scientific theory like to use Darwin as the be-all and end-all target of criticism because it is much easier to refute 19th century ideas without technology than 21st century science with technology.

I suppose we could include Darwin along with William Miller in the Topic header--but--it would hijack the current discussion.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

If this were published in wikipedia (not a paragon of excellence at that) it would be flagged POV. We don't live inside Miller. How do we know he was sincere? Wacky ideas. I'd take mainstream Christianity with its flaws any day. It takes incredible ego to read the Bible and start computing Judgment dates. A true reader would be bewildered.

I miss the point. Miller as distinguished statesperson? The record does not reflect it. Knowledge that the WTBTS is not alone in calculating goofy dates? Helpful to those willing to believe.

Jesus says no one knows the hour. I trust Jesus. Between Jesus and Miller, Jesus has my vote.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit