What is the WTBTS about?

by FloridaPerry 19 Replies latest jw friends

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

Is it money? Power? Control?

I have a difficult time figuring these people out. Do they give away Watchtower & Awake these days? Where do they get their money? The people on the Governing Body HAVE to know they're not "communing" with God, right? Do they think they're the "Pope" of the JW'S? I've seen some very intelligent people on this forum, some out of there for 30 or 40 years but they're back here discussing what happened. Man, that's some POWERFUL stuff! How can they exist, trapping so many otherwise intelligent people into their ranks? Seriously, looking at the diversity and the questions asked AFTER the fact on this board, it's difficult to understand how these people went into this in the FIRST place. Why? I haven't seen a KH in 30 years, but I came here looking for answers as to why I was the way I was in certain ways. I've found a lot of them, and I appreciate you guys for helping me with that by your posts. Interesting reading about people going from polygamy to atheism after exiting "Jehovah". Still, WHY do they exist? It usually comes back to the dollar. WHO is getting rich in this? It HAS to be there, I just don't know where it is. It's like some unknown puppetmaster pulling the strings.

• agonus
    agonus

The power the WT wields is very difficult to comprehend or explain, much less to anyone who's never been "in". For me, I think the appeal was that the WT offers a sense of certitude and uniformity that few organized "major" religions (i.e. more than a few million) can. You "know" it's the truth because... well, what else is there? Of course, there are some fringe elements who would suggest the WT's power stems from their being under direct control of Satan, or Illuminati headquarters, or some such, but not being an expert on such matters it's not really my place to comment.

I think one of the biggest "hooks" for the WT is the "Paradise Earth" teaching. For many Christians, "Heaven" is a fairly nebulous concept and may not always prove to be terribly satisfying for those who are having struggles of faith. Paradise is much more concrete and imminent, and for those (like my mom) who've lost loved ones in death the "instant gratification" factor plays in a great deal.

And then there are pathetic bastards like myself who've essentially lost their wife and kids over this thing for suggesting that The Truth may not quite be... well, the truth... and just can't let it go.

Hope that helps.

• blondie
    blondie

It's a cult, man............

BITE--Steve Hassan

http://www.freedomofmind.com/resourcecenter/articles/BITE.htm

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

Yeah, Blondie I understand it's a cult. agonus, I understand and I appreciate your reply. The thing is, we all crave a union with each other, where we help keep ourselves in line. It's extremely difficult to do by ourseves. There are things I like about the JW's. It's sad that there isn't an organization like them, but with the Holy Spirit.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

If there was an organization with the Holy Spirit, it wouldn't be anything like them.

The fact that they use dishonest dangerous mind control techniques to recruit and maintain membership rules out any possible relationship between that organization and the Holy Spirit. Add to that the horribly unscriptural doctrines they currently believe, which have replaced earlier horribly unscriptural doctrines that they used to believe, and you have no truth in doctrine either.

No truth in doctrine. No truth in the process. And they call it "the truth."

What is it about? Depends on who you are talking about. The organization itself has the same purpose most organizations have: self perpetuation. Just keep making enough money to keep going and if possible, growing. The governing body members as individuals have a similar purpose: keep on going with the status quo as long as possible, hopefully for the rest of their life. The rank and file are mostly true believers, or at least they believe in the earthly paradise and the imminence of Armageddon (and feel the rest of the details are unimportant).

• blondie
    blondie

I've been reading a book "Toxic Faith--Experiencing Healing from Painful Spiritual Abuse." It talks about how people are abused by toxic religions and what it takes to heal...might be a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Toxic-Faith-Stephen-Arterburn/dp/0877888256

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

agonus, were you born into the JW's or did you decide that for yourself?

• agonus
    agonus

Yes and no on both counts ;) My mom came in when I was but a wee lad, I didn't get baptized until I was about 19, but I still wouldn't claim that (at least internally) it was ever any kind of "real" choice free of outside influence. I mean, this is an organization that is pressuring kids as young as 6 or 7 to get baptized (though in the mid-90s the pressure wasn't QUITE as severe)... but when This Is The Truth, This Means Your Life, and Everything Else Is A Snare of Satan, is it ever REALLY a choice? ;)

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

I'm seeing this, VERY intelligent people handing their lives over to people who are handing their lives over to people who are handing themselves and their lives over to High School dropouts. Am I correct?

• agonus
    agonus

Sadly, FP, that may be one of the most astute comments I've yet to come across here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit