Do You Keep Items of Clothing for Sentimental Reasons?

by leavingwt 12 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Do You Keep Items of Clothing for Sentimental Reasons?

I've got a few garments that I've been hanging onto for some reason. Even though I'm never going to wear them again (because of size, wear or condition), I can't bring myself to throw them away.

Example: The shirt I was wearing when my daughter (first child) was born is hanging in my closet. It's too faded to wear and it's probably too small. Yet, I've kept it for years.

Does anyone else do this?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Well, there's that extra large bra that brings back memories.

S

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Nope, I toss everything I don't wear if I haven't worn it for a year. But I am single and very mobile i.e. travel a lot.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I've save some garments that my grandmother made for me. She tended to focus on the creation of meeting clothes, so I've had a lot of dresses by her.

I saved my baby boy's first undershirt from the hospital and a pair of tiny socks. I still have my little girl's first shoes.

I inherited my dad's first shoes, believe it or not.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have quite a collection. My desire is to be a fashionista but financial resources and profession tend to get in the way. I have some souvenirs from the sixties, a Burberry too small to wear, my interview suit in law school. My mom used to sew for me. I'd go to Bloomie's and show her my desires. She wanted to be a fashion designer but had to leave school b/c of flag salute. She would look at the construction and then determine she could do just as well. Later, I started becoming aware of better fabric as I sewed all my own clothing. She would not trust me with good fabric. Soon she would make Vogue patterns for me as long as I brought home good fabric. She'd wake me up at 2am to show me fancy stitching and construction. I cannot bear to throw out these garments. My grandmother was a knitter. I have some items I never wore b/c I'd lose them. They are very precious to me.

I was a big Laura Ashley fan. So those clothes are saved. I have a smattering of clothes in different sizes. Future storage may be a problem.

I was so determined to return to my original weight. Slowly, I am facing reality. I grew up with hand me downs. The Beatles are far more than a musical group to me and clothing is far more than clothing. People on welfare at KH had better clothes than me growing up. My career choice was determined by what could bring me the clothing I wanted. I lived in Manhattan so I loved that whole vintage, artsy crowd. Vogue is so mainstream.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Leaving WT,

I left a message about my being a huge McCartney fan. My father persecuted me for the Beatles. John Lennon really drew fire. I've seen them all in concert over the years. I was at Bangladesh concert, both shows. Looking back I can't believe it but I barged into Geraldo Rivera's office demanding a ticket for the concert John did. I got it, too. What good memories.

Never when I screeched my head off in 6th grade, did I think I would be watching McCartney at this age.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My dad gave me a sweater, and then he died a few hours later. That was nearly 10 years ago. I still have it, but haven't worn it.

W

• Bluegill
    Bluegill

yup!

I have my dads brand new leather jacket he bought right before he passed away 8 years ago. Last week I almost gave it to my father in law. He tried it on and it fit him but I couldn't quite let it go. He totally understood. It just hangs in the closet and will never fit me...maybe one day I'll let it go.

Bluegill

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

Monica Lewinsky was into it.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I keep everything for sentimental reasons. I have my security blanket I had as a child. I have the handles to my dresser that I used to spin relentlessly. I have my cross-eyed shark pillow I made in sewing class. I have the wads of tissue hardened with the dried tears from my first breakup. I have twenty-year-old Valentines' mints given to me by a special someone. Dried flowers from dates long ago. I have tons of childhood books and boxes and boxes of stuff from elementary, middle, high school, and college. Am I a hoarder? My bf thinks I am, or close to becoming one, I do try to throw stuff out but not unless it has been properly documented first. Clothes too are hard to throw out. My favorite is a fan t-shirt I handmade before going to my first Metric show in 2003 (they didn't have fan merchandise yet). Every show I've been to since, I've pinned a button or two on the shirt. Today the shirt is as dated as hell, it's never been washed, and it has over a dozen buttons on it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit