RF and GG

by Farkel 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

RF and GG

The parallels between Raymond Franz and Galileo Galilei are remarkable and we can learn from them and their religious masters.

In the case of Galileo and the Catholic Church, the issue was not what the Church wanted people to believe it was: "who owns the truth about the heavens?"

In the case of Raymond Franz and the Watchtower Printing Corporation, the issue was not what the Corporation wanted people to believe it was: "who owns the truth about shunning", and "who owns the truth about what the Bible really teaches?"

No! In fact, "truth" had nothing to do with the real issue. The issue was not about "truth", but about "authority to say" what is truth, whether it is actually truth or not. This is important to let sink in and for an obvious reason. When authority trumps truth, especially when the "truth" involves what God wants from his Creation, could it ever be said under any conditions that this "authority" could come from an honest and just and truthful God? NO!

The Watchtower Printing Corporation has produced millions and millions of pages of print ridiculing the Catholic Church and its history for its old and new erroneous beliefs, and used that ridicule to contrast themselves and their "pure worship" with that of the Catholic Church.

What the Watchtower Printing Corporation has not done is acknowledge just how LIKE the Catholic Church they really are. They have the same hierarchical system, they have the same claim of being the one and only true religion, they persecute dissenters, and they believe non-members/heretics will eternally pay the price for not believing in and following them.

Of course, the Catholic Church does a number of things the Watchtower Printing Corporation is loath to do: they provide hospitals and charities giving billions of dollars for the poor and needy, regardless of religious affiliation. They provide high quality schools at a much lower price than other private schools. These schools do much more than merely teach kids how to sell books! They provide and pay for professional counseling for members and clergy who have mental issues or whom have suffered in the past because of injustices of the Church. And of course, the Catholic Church doesn't force its members to buy and sell books, and go to indoctrination and sales-training sessions or face God's eternal extermination.

But, let's look at the similarities:

Galileo produced a book called "Dialogue" which respectfully discussed the notions of a sun-centric universe versus an earth-centric Universe. He produced both sides of the debate and dispassionately proved the Church was wrong with their view.

Franz produced a book called "Crisis of Conscience" which respectfully discussed the notions of a Bible-based faith versus a Watchtower Printing Corporation-based faith. He produced both sides of the debate and dispassionately proved the Corporation was wrong with their view.

Galileo proved that the earth was not the center of the Universe, but just another planet circling around the sun.

Franz proved that the Corporation was not the center of God's favor, but just another religion circling around the Bible.

The ancient Roman Catholics and Greeks had an obsession with "Divine Circles" in describing the universe.

The "ancient" Watchtowerites had an obsession with "Divine Plans" in describing God activities.

Galileo was vilified and exiled by the Church.

Franz was vilified and exiled by the Corporation.

The Church banned Galileo’s book.

The Corporation banned Franz’s book.

Due to that banning, curiosity developed among Catholics and so the book was secretly distributed and read among Church members who would have otherwise never done so.

Due to that banning, curiosity developed among Jehovah's Witnesses and so the book was secretly distributed and read among Corporation members who would have otherwise never done so.

As so often happens, people with the old views in the Church die off and people come along and a new generation sees things differently.

As so often happens, people with the old views in the Corporation die off and people come along and a new generation sees things differently. If this is not true, then why is the Corporation's growth so stagnant, and their retention rate so small, especially with the new generation coming of age?

Five hundred years later as the Hubble sits on the edge of the universe the Catholic Church finally forgave Galileo and admitted their error.

Now for the most important CONTRAST between the Church and the Corporation:

The Church is finally started to come around to permitting questions to be asked and evidence to be produced which challenge their notions of "truth."

The Corporation forbids any questions in pursuit of truth, gives the same old answers, and believes its authority is more important than questions and the search for truth. It sits around being braindead and will NEVER encourage any quest for truth, merely defining "truth" as whatever they say it is this week.

It may have taken 500 years of arrogance, but the Church finally admitted they were wrong and forgave Galileo.

Even if it lasts that long, the Corporation will NEVER admit they are wrong and forgive Ray Franz. They will just re-write their past with lies like they've always done.

As the Catholic Church has gained tolerance and compassion over the years, the Watchtower Corporation is continuously losing whatever small amount of compassion it may have ever had.

Farkel

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

They can't admit they were wrong. That would make it look like they are God's spokesman ion earth today gasp

Truly disfunctional people or organization must, at all cost, maintain their image. And they will lie through their teeth to perpetuate the myth they have created.

(other thread has been removed)

• snowbird
    snowbird

FARKEL!!!

Syl

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Afternoon Farkel!..

Awesome thread..

Galileo proved that the earth was not the center of the Universe, but just another planet circling around the sun.

In Watchtower World..

The Universe revolves around the Watchtower..

WTborg.jpg

........................... ...OUTLAW

• wobble
    wobble

The great Farkel has lost none of his power !

When I was a humble Dub,and suffering from considerable Cognitive Dissonance, I used to say that the Catholic faith was the "closest to the Truth"

What I meant by that was , their doctrines were really only a fag (cigarette) paper away from the WT's. doctrines. I also acknowledged to myself the similarities in demanding that their authority was beyond question.

It is only since leaving that I have identified as such the similarity in claiming the right to Magisterium in interpreting what is truth.

I think the WT uses two role models, one for the religious side, the other for the corporate side, they ape the Catholic church for the religious side, and Corporate America for the business side, it is a system that has served them well for nigh on a century and a quarter.

The problem for some, like dear Ray Franz, and our own Awakened at Gilead, is when they see that the business side is more important to those in control than the religious side, the Cognitive Dissonance is not strong enough to resist the realisation that the whole thing is one huge pile of :

BULLSHIT !

But still, sadly , many still see the Catholic church as the "True Church ", and many, some 7 million benighted souls , still see the WT/JW religion as "The Truth"

We can only hope that ceaselessly pointing out how very silly these claims are will have some effect on people who are able to revive their thinking ability.

Dear Farkel, keep up your matchless work, you must free many a poor soul from the prison of ignorance by your posts !

• Violia
    Violia

The wts won't admit any wrongdoing or mistakes due to legal implications. The catholic church has done more than the wts for victims of sexual abuse.

I recall the Church of God, the one Garner Ted Armstrong founded . I recall them admitting they were wrong in print and apologizing to any they had led astray from the Bible. If the wts were really God's organazation they would admit wrongdoing and let the chips fall were they may. They would expect God to help them. They would right the wrongs and turn around and do the right thing. Isn't that what repentence is?

Admit your mistakes, take the legal lumps and let the chips fall were they may- that is what an organazation that was cared about people and truly had God's spirit would do.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Farkel You have a PM

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Bravo, dear Farkel!

It's sad that this written gem is disguised by such a cryptic title. Far too many members and lurkers will probably skip to some useless fluff.

Len

• Farkel
    Farkel

fatfreak,

:is disguised by such a cryptic title

Yeah. It's hard to come up with a catching title. I've often thought I should have a title that starts with "How to you feel about....", but that would just elicit a bunch of bullshitters who love to talk forever about how they "feel" about something, but can't or don't want to offer anything that requires them to actually think. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that those folks are not an audience I give a shit about.

Farkel

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Emailing this to my sister. Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit