Rutherford said "God does not have an Organization" in WT. Where?

by Wasanelder Once 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Years ago I was reading in the WT reprints and saw a question from readers after Russell died where someone asked if God had an Organization as brother PSL Johnson had been teaching. Rutherford made clear in his response to the letter that Jehovah does not have an organization. I can't remember what year it was but I believe it was in 1916, 1917 or so. Anyone know the location or is able to help me look for that info. I know I read it and made copies of the pages years ago. I've lost those copies long ago. Thanks.

• clarity
    clarity

Hi WasanelderOnce,

I don't remember Rutherford saying that, maybe someone else does. Would this be what you were thinking of?

"An important comment was made in 1955, something significantly contradicted in the arrangement introduced in 1985.

"A Christian, therefore, cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organization, but in the name of the Father, the Son and the holy spirit." Watchtower 1955 July 1 p.411

"We do not dedicate ourselves to a religion, nor to a man, nor to an organization. No, we dedicate ourselves to the Supreme Sovereign of the Universe, our Creator, Jehovah God himself. This makes dedication a very personal relationship between us and Jehovah." Watchtower 1966 October 1 pp.603-604"
      clarity
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Nope, not that. It was in a letter to Rutherford in the WT and he agreed with Russell that Jehovah does not have an "Organization". I remember that instead of the letter being addressed to Dear Brothers or Dear Watchtower, it was addressed to Dear Brother Rutherford. I've looked at all the letters for 1916 and 1917 so it must be in 1918. There was also a question from readers about P.S.L. Johnson setting up a public speaking program for brothers. Rutherford shot that down as ungodly. I know thats in the letters too. Honest, I know I saw this. I will continue the search. Does anyone have the 1918 reprints in searchable form? That would save lots of time.

• yknot
    yknot

Paul S.L. Johnson and RG Jolly....

Help me out here some Wasa.... Paul is still in good graces in 1916 & 1917's WTs (though the Harvest sifting reviewed is his bid to suggest that Walter Page is better suited then Rutherford to be pres.)..

However in 1918 he and Jolly are in Great Britain and suggesting two classes (snicker)..... (Jan 15)

Johnson and Jolly make worthy mention again but this time in the March 1, 1918 WT in the article 'A Warning to the Church"

To wit I am reading now..... apparently the problem starts with a disagreement regarding the 'harvest sifting'

But figured I would post that a search is taking place.....(I was reviewing 1916-1922 anyways-- vintage koolaid is actually quite relevent to our current era)

Does any of the above ring a bell?

• yknot
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Ynot, I have been downloading the pdfs from there and am going through them one at a time. I have done 16,17, and 18. I'm sure its in 19 and shortly after because that's when PSL was ass out. My pdf reader can't search those PDFs. Are they searchable with Adobe? I'm using Foxit. Thanks. I swear to God those quotes are in there somewhere. Damned if I wasn't a loyal dub then who sort of shelved that damning info because I couldn't talk about it. Thanks. I'm thinking that the "no organization" quote would really help with a video I'm doing on the family study checking out the history to build faith in God's "Organization." Kinda blows it out of the water if they didn't beleive in one back then.

• clarity
    clarity

Ynot...brilliant!

Print it for us when you get it Wasa, please.

c

• yknot
    yknot

Yea they are.... searching now.... I am reading an article entitled "Two Classes of the Church" in the Feb 15, 1918 WT pg 24 of the 1918 download... it is directed at Johnson more or less.....

I didn't find mention of Johnson in 1919... only Johnson City, Tn

• yknot
    yknot

For lurkers reading this thread.... all the fuss between Rutherford and Johnson started with this article "Harvest Sifting Reviewed' found at the link below:

http://www.pastor-russell.com/legacy/hsr.pdf

• yknot
    yknot

Yes I am using adobe but it isn't picking up all the 'Rutherfords' ...... I have to go to bed so maybe consider slowly reviewing the letter sections again of 1917-1918 (johnson disappears from publication after that)

Paul seemed to be a real 'Korah'..... he wanted to set up schools for public speaking called 'schools of prophets'......hmmm that sounds sooooo familiar! (outlaw-esque snickers)

...night yall....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit