Two Or More Witnesses Policy Still In Effect For Elders In Child Abuse Cases

by PublishingCult 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

Despite its assurances to the media reporting on child sex abuse cases, the official WTBTS policy on dealing with child molestation in the congregation has not actually changed. The most recent direction given to congregation elders in dealing with child molestation allegations can be found in the 2010 revised edition of the secret for-elders'-eyes-only manual, Shepherd the Flock. This direction is in direct violation of The Law regarding how ministers are to handle allegations of child molestation. Ministers, in all 50 states, are mandatory reporters of child abuse to civil authorities. But the Shepherd the Flock book says the following:

Evidence Establishing Wrongdoing

Even though a Christian has been accused of wrongdoing serious enough to require judicial action, a judicial committee should not be formed unless the wrongdoing has been established. What kind of evidence is acceptable?

The elders can accept a guilty plea by the accused. If the accused does not confess, they can only accept . . .

• There must be two or three eyewitnesse, not just people repeating hearsay; no action can taken if there only one witness. Deut 19: 15; John 8:17.

• If there two or witnesses to the same kind of wrongdoing but each one is witness to a separate incident, the elders can consider their testimony. While such evidence is acceptable to establish guilt, is preferable to have two witnesses to the same occurrence of wrongdoing.

The testimony of youths may be considered; it is up to the elders to determine whether the testimony has the ring of truth.

39. If the accused denies the accusation, the investigating elders should try to arrange a meeting with him and the accuser together. (Note: If the accusation involves child sexual abuse and the victim is currently a minor, the elders should contact the branch office before arranging a meeting with the child and the alleged abuser.) If the accuser or the accused is unwilling to meet with the elders or if the accused continues to deny the accusation of a single witness and the wrongdoing is not established, the elders will leave matters in Jehovah's hands. (Deut.19:15-17; 1 Tim 5:19, 24, 25; w95 11/1 pp. 28-29) The investigating elders should compose a record, sign it, put it in a sealed envelope, and place it in the congregation’s confidential file. Additional evidence may later come to light to establish matters.

• lostsheep82
    lostsheep82

I'm disgusted! I can't believe they expect a pedophile to molest in front of someone like WTF!

However I noticed what appears to by gramatical errors maybe you wern't able to copy and paste correctly?

"no action can taken if there only one witness." Should it read "no action can BE taken if there IS only one witness?"

"If there two or witnesses to the same " this statement sounds incomplete?

Can you please reference the pages so I can read this for myself?

Thanks!

• fokyc
    fokyc

"Shepherd the Flock of God"

Chapter 5, pages 71 & 72, paras 37 to 39

• lostsheep82
    lostsheep82

I found it thanks fokyc. I just had to had to read it myself! I have to say I am really amazed they still abide by that stupid rule. So sad!

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Are they saying that forensic evidence -- semem stain, dna, etc -- cannot suffice as a 2nd witness?

Len

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Are they saying that forensic evidence -- semem stain, dna, etc -- cannot suffice as a 2nd witness?Len

Yeh for f**k sake We live in the 21st century

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The more they try to keep this kind of thing under wraps in the Information Age, the worse it will get. Organisms that cannot or will not adapt to a changing environment are doomed to extinction; there have been no exceptions in the long history of our planet. If some JWs are starting to feel like God is delaying the WT's "Big A", they need look no further for a reason why, as far as I'm concerned.

Ironically, my devout JW parents taught me from a very early age that God expects us all to live with the consequences of our actions. I recently asked my Mom if that principle applies to the WTS and GB, and she had to acknowledge that logically, yes, it would.

The WT took upon itself the mantle of God's Earthly Organization, but if that dubious claim even has a shred of truth, God (assuming He exists) is perfectly capable of withdrawing that mantle if said Organization doesn't hold up their end of the deal. As someone here once said, the WTS is not "too big to fail", even if the End of the World really is right around the corner.

"Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy dates in your name? Did we not expel apostates in your name? Did we not build a small but successful publishing empire in your name?" (apologies for paraphrasing)

• flipper
    flipper

Important thread to bump up showing the insanity of the WT societies policies

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

See what happens when men try and follow the social behavior morals of a civilization that existed 2000 years ago.

Kind of stupid isn't it ?

Pedophiles lurk under the cloak of righteousness and purity just like this religion and others.

When people create their religions they have the opportunity and capability to pick and choose what laws they want

to establish. Unfortunately being that most religious beliefs had their beginning in ancient times, where unfair and unjust

social standards was the probable norm, emulating those standards today usually creates grief and disrepair to are modern population.

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

This is sickening. Pedophiles are getting away with harming children, and the elders are helping them get away with harming children. What about the rapist who got away with it for 25 years before anything was done, and the judge was upset about it? Yet the 'governing body' just keeps telling the elders to stick to the same old useless policy. It is so stupid and disgusting! The 'governing body' seems to be to Jehovah's Witnesses what the pope is to Catholics. The final word, etc. Crazy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit