Are Faith and Reason Compatible? Jan Awake

by DanaBug 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover
    What, though, if what you learn seems to contradict some of your deeply held beliefs? Should you just ignore it? Of course not. There may well be times when it is eminently reasonable to consider powerful evidence that appears to contradict what you believe.

Thank you, WTS, for the ammunition needed to show JW family that it's okay to consider evidence that contradicts what you believe.

How many times have you tried to tell a JW family member or friend something you've learned that contradicts 'our' long held beliefs, only to have them cover their ears and go "lalalalalala - I can't hear you"? Dubs have been brainwashed to never consider anything negative about the "truth". Yet, here we have one of the few examples of the WTS trying to sound reasonable and rational that actually goes against their normal modus operandi of demonizing everything negative about the belief system.

Yes, yes... I know that most dubs will apply this only outside of their little ignorant world, never thinking that maybe there are some evidences that contradict their own beliefs. But it gives us, the apostate or fading ex-member, an inroad to trying to show them the reasonableness of considering evidence contratry to any belief.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I had a talk with my parents today, per their request, after my dad made his opening I started by reading their whole article..... I am glad to say it worked wonders... They were able to at least hear.... we talk for 7 hours at a Dennys. And... oh God is tough. But at least there was some cognitive dissonance. In several occasion and my father said he will consider something that goes against his beliefs..... I will put more detail later. But I have "faith" (haha) that something was achieved today.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Wow, that's awesome, cj! Your dad saying he would even consider something that goes against his beliefs...that's what I want too, for my dad to just listen to what I have to say. I'm glad it had an effect on them. Every little bit, right?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

cyberjesus: Thank you for the update. I'm looking forward to hearing more. I'm glad you were able to have a civil visit with your family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit