Self Defense loads

by sooner7nc 28 Replies latest jw friends

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

If you carry or have a handgun at home for protection how do you keep it loaded? Light fast loads? Heavy slow penetrating loads?

If you use a shotgun for protection do you load to minimize over-penetration?

What do you think about Powr-Balls or Glaser safety slugs?

Which .45ACP JHP do you prefer?

If you carry a .38 Spec. then how do you load?

Here's what I have loaded.

1911: 230 grain Hornady TAP

S&W Mod. 60: .38 Spec. 110 grain Winchester +P

Mossberg 12 gauge: 1st round 1 1/4 ounce handload of 7 1/2 shot. Subsequent loads are 00 buck.

If you don't like guns feel free to make snide comments and look down your nose.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've never done a lot of shooting with a handgun, so I won't comment on them. I know that if you're going to use it for defense you need to practive a lot. I like your load out for the Mossberg (I think a shotgun is the ideal home defense weapon). If he keeps coming after you dust him with birshot you have a solid self-defense argument for hitting him with the 00.

I've decided that if the supreme court upholds the provision requiring the puchase of health care, we need to petition Congress to pass a law requiring every American to buy a gun.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I have a 2 foot length of boat oar. I learnt this the hard way.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies
    If you don't like guns feel free to make snide comments and look down your nose.

I don't own a gun and don't look down on gun owners. Sooner7nc do you live in a dangerous area?

Have you ever needed to pull it out to protect yourself?

According to this web-site I personally would want to own a gun if I lived in South Africa! Scary amount of people murdered with firearms.

3Mozzies

• Violia
    Violia

Can you tell me the best hand gun for a woman to carry? I have poor wrist strength so it needs to be super easy to use.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I keep 15 rounds of hollow-point, self-defense ammo in my Glock 19.

I really need to purchase some of Hordady's "Critical Defense" Ammo for my Kel-Tec P3AT. It's relatively new and it gets good marks. It was unavailable, locally, the day I wanted to purchase it.

http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Auto-90-gr-FTX-Critical-Defense/

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I load a wicked "garbanzo special" on some 9 grain, after I've disarmed them with a 12 round Daisy cutter.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Buddhist monks Yaayyy!

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Sooner7nc do you live in a dangerous area? They're all dangerous

Have you ever needed to pull it out to protect yourself? No, not yet.

Can you tell me the best hand gun for a woman to carry? I have poor wrist strength so it needs to be super easy to use.

I would say Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT. Both are .380 ACP with 6+1 capacity and should be fairly easy for you to shoot even with wrist weakness. That sound about right Leaving? I've shot a Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm but never the smaller Kel-Tec.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I would say Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT. Both are .380 ACP with 6+1 capacity and should be fairly easy for you to shoot even with wrist weakness. That sound about right Leaving? I've shot a Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm but never the smaller Kel-Tec.

Actually, the P3AT kicks like a mule. She will want to avoid it.

A hammerless .38 is what some gals like. No slide to worry with, no jamming and the recoil is not terrible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit