Mary Magdalene

by palmtree67 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I've been reading the Gospel of Mary Magdalene and have come across some interesting things. For instance:

1. She obviously had a great connection to Jesus, but was not present at Pentecost. Perhaps the idea of proselitizing didn't resonate with her experiences. Perhaps her kind of knowledge, was not something she could preach about.

2. She was present at both his death and at the tomb. She's often depicted in pictures with a skull. Is there an implication that Mary understands the thresholds of death?

3. She appears with oils to annoint Jesus, which he accepts, saying that "she helps prepare me for my burial". This implies that Mary understands what is happening on a deeper level than the other apostles.

- By what authority does she anoint him?

4. Jesus says that "what this woman did will be preached throughout the whole world and will be told in remembrance of her." Yet, she is remembered as a prostitute ( true or not, that's another debate ), and not a ministering priestess with a deep understanding of the thresholds of the spirit world.

Thoughts??

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

OOPS!

Thought you had info/update on previous JWD poster.

Then remembered that she went by 'Merry Magdalene'.

Sorry for interruption. {backing out slowly...}

-Aude.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Before I can comment, dear Palmtree (the greatest of love and peace to you!), can you clarify a couple/few things for me? Thank you!

May I ask whether the things you've concluded were due to your reading of that Gospel? I ask this because while there is a lot in that account (and a lot that ISN'T present), I can't see where it speaks to the issues you've raised, so perhaps I misunderstand you (if so, my apologies!). And second, why you believe Mary wasn't present at Pentecost.

Thank you and, again, peace to you!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I miss Merry Magdalene!

She appears with oils to annoint Jesus, which he accepts, saying that "she helps prepare me for my burial". This implies that Mary understands what is happening on a deeper level than the other apostles.

The story in the synoptic gospels actually does not identify her with Mary Magdalene (she is anonymous). The version in John names her "Mary" but also does not indicate that she is Mary Magdalene (Mary of Magdala) per se; in fact the narrative about the raising of Lazarus specifically identifies her with Mary of Bethany, sister of Martha and Lazarus, almost certainly a different Mary. It is in the Lukan version of the story where this anonymous woman is specifically labelled "a sinner". It is through the conflation of all the stories together, and the identification of Mary of Bethany with Mary Magdalene that the interpretation arose that Mary Magdalene was a "sinner", i.e. a prostitute. However it is also in Luke that Mary Madgalene is specifically healed by the casting of seven demons (taken up by the author of Pseudo-Mark, Aristion?), which may have influenced the interpretation that she had been particularly "sinful".

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Mary of Bethany, sister of Martha and Lazarus, almost certainly a different Mary.

Greetings, dear Leolaia, and as always peace to you! My understanding is that Mary the Magdalene and Mary of Bethany are one and the same; that she and her siblings (Martha and Simon aka Lazarus) were all but run out of Magdala and subsequently relocated closer to Bethany, to be closer to the pool [of Bethesda] while not actually residing in the City (Jerusalem) proper (by "law," lepers couldn't go near "sound" people, and certainly the priests and Pharisees/Sadducees wouldn't let them near, so they usually hung just outside the gates... until the "season" when the waters were disturbed (Bethany was just a tad less than 2 miles from Jerusalem so Lazarus could more easily make it to the pool; however, the healing was said to work only for the very first person who got in the water after it was disturbed, so that might have made things difficult for him).

I realize that there is some dispute over which "Mary's" are which in the accounts about my Lord. There are three: (1) Mary, the mother of my Lord and his brothers, James and Jude; (2) Mary the wife of Clophas; and (3) the Magdalene, sister of Martha and Lazarus of Bethany. John 19:25

I hope this helps and, again, bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Hello Shelby!

I see I'm not being clear in my original post. I just have an interest in Mary Magdalene right now, so I tried to research some things before I read the gospel....I was hoping for some background.

The more I read, the more I wondered why she is so ignored.....both by the WTS and those who chose the Bible cannon. She had such close association with Jesus and being of a different gender,.....I think she may have picked up on nuances and tones of teachings that the men may have missed.

My points were just random thoughts and open for discussion.

I haven't seen anything that says she was present at Pentecost and I sort of thought it would be significant whether she was there or not. She almost seems as close to Jesus as his "beloved" apostle.....yet her thoughts are not recorded.....well, her thoughts are not respected.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

@ Leolaia:

It is in the Lukan version of the story where this anonymous woman is specifically labelled "a sinner".

I feel like I trust Luke's research.

However it is also in Luke that Mary Madgalene is specifically healed by the casting of seven demons (taken up by the author of Pseudo-Mark, Aristion?), which may have influenced the interpretation that she had been particularly "sinful".

I have some thoughts on that, too. ( Seven demons = Seven deadly sins?? )

Obviously, I'm leaning toward a more gnostic view of Mary Magdalene. Her close association with Jesus and also being present at Jesus' death and resurrection, I think, puts her at the forefront of eyewitnesses. Yet, her testimony is largely ignored.

• Heaven
    Heaven

The more I read, the more I wondered why she is so ignored.....both by the WTS and those who chose the Bible cannon.

Well, Palmtree, the short answer is, she was so ignored because she was a woman. In the testosterone, patriarchal dominated, male monotheistic world of the Holy Bible, it's a common theme running throughout it's entirety. If her name had been Marty and she he had had a penis, she he would have been given way more attention.

• possible-san
    possible-san

palmtree67.

It is very interesting topic.

Well, in my personal opinion, I think that Mary Magdalene loved Jesus and Jesus also loved her.
    In my website, I have stated that basis.
    If I was able to speak English, I have explained to you in detail.
    http://godpresencewithin.web.fc2.com/pages/hitorigoto/magdalene.html

Machine translation:
    http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fgodpresencewithin.web.fc2.com%2Fpages%2Fhitorigoto%2Fmagdalene.html&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

In this forum, I had talked with Ms. Leolaia about Mary Magdalene, and I also made the following thread.
    But nobody replied.
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/177569/1/I-like-John-8-1-11

Before, I got the permission using a picture from the following website.
    http://nigelnessling.wordpress.com/mary-magdelene-and-kilmore-church-scotland/

possible

• belbab
    belbab

Palmtree, aka Tamara,

I wish to present some thoughts on your post as briefly as I can. They are more intuitions than hard researched facts.

For myself, I do not find it necessary to separate and identify all the Mary’s in the Bible. The name comes from Miriam, Aaron’s and Moses sister, who in Exodus 15:20 is also called a “ prophetess”. Miriam, means “ rebellion”. In Jesus day anyone having the name Miriam or Mary would live up to the name, more so than today where names are chosen from the mother’s favourite movie star.

In the accounts of Jesus ministry it says that vasts multitudes followed him. Jesus was not a militant man; he kept mostly to the wilderness outskirts of Judea, coming to the capital mostly for the festivals. It also says many women followed him and took care of his needs. They identifiedwith him. Figuratively speaking, he was more feminine in his activities, than being an aggressive male. It would take women with somewhat rebellious natures living up to their names to leave the security of their homes and follow Jesus about. It so happened that a number of these woman carried the name, “Mary”

In the account of Martha and Mary, Jesus said Mary chose the better portion by listening to Jesus rather than helping Martha in the kitchen. In the account of a “Mary” anointing Jesus with costly ointment, at the instigation of Judas Iscariot, the apostles objected the waste of costly ointment. Mary discerned something that the masculine mentality of the apostles did not. Mary discerned that Jesus was going to die. Peter previously tried to prevent Jesus from advancing to Jerusalem where he was destined to die. The apostle John, the disciple whom Jesus also loved, also could identify with Jesus’ more passive, less masculine nature. He stayed awake during the night Jesus was captured and was aware of the events taking place.

Consider the account in the Gospel of Philipp which I quote here:

And the companion of the [...] Mary Magdalene. [...] loved her more than all the disciples, and used to kiss her often on her mouth. The rest of the disciples [...]. They said to him "Why do you love her more than all of us?" The Savior answered and said to them,"Why do I not love you like her? When a blind man and one who sees are both together in darkness, they are no different from one another. When the light comes, then he who sees will see the light, and he who is blind will remain in darkness."

What does the latter part of this quotation mean? Mary with the anointing of Jesus was in the light. She was not blind regarding the events taking place. She was aware that Jesus was going to die; she was alleviating the sting, the stench of death in the air. The apostles, with the exception of the apostle that Jesus loved, at this occasion and also the events on the eve of his death were blind and did not see the unfolding of the tragic events.

In your comments about the Gospel of Mary you mention in your post, Mary Magdalene is pictured in later centuries by the Catholic Church as carrying a skull and that she was a prostitute. It was not a skull she should be carrying, it was ointment that alleviates and soothes the sting of death down to this day.

There are many other things that could be discussed. Perhaps later this discussion will continue.
    Belbab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit