A Gem From This Week's TMS

by torn in two son 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

The word most at least is wrong and propably education is wrong term about it. But at least I must say that the variety of themes available ie. through awake magazine is exceptional. If people read those articles, at least general knowledge about different phenomenoms should be raising. It is absolutelly not equivalent (2-3 pages) to specified studies in colleges or universities ofcourse, but spectrum of themes is wider also. I've learned lots of interesting stuff from the awake articles that would not otherwise have been brought to my attention.

All things are not bad, self-righteous statements may very well be.

CP

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The word most at least is wrong and propably education is wrong term about it.
    But at least I must say that the variety of themes available ie. through awake magazine is exceptional. If people read those articles, at least general knowledge about different phenomenoms should be raising. It is absolutelly not equivalent (2-3 pages) to specified studies in colleges or universities ofcourse, but spectrum of themes is wider also. I've learned lots of interesting stuff from the awake articles that would not otherwise have been brought to my attention.

With all due respect, the above perfectly illustrates the problem here.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

With all due respect, the above perfectly illustrates the problem here.

Exactly, that is why I think saying that they are most educated people is self-righteous. Saying that they are well informed would already be different, even not exactly right either.

CP

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

I agree, James. It was an unreadable post by clearpoison.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I agree, James. It was an unreadable post by clearpoison.

Well, yes - and I did not mean it in disrespect. Another point to be made about JWs and education is that REAL education is all about teaching people to research ideas and learn to think for themselves. JW "education" is about trying to memorize anything the WTBTS chooses to print at the moment - and to re-memorize it when they decide to change it. Thinking for yourself as a JW is not allowed.

• torn in two son
    torn in two son

UPDATE:

Finals week for torn in two here. Today was the last day, and after school I asked my JDubya friend (who is unaware of my conversion to atheism) about what he thought of evolution. I asked what he thought about the evidence that the WTBTS neglected to mention in some of their newer materials like "The Origin Of Life" blantantly stating that evolution due to a lack of evidence, "has no explanation for the origin of life."

I asked what he thought about the fossil record and how scientists use radiometric dating to determine the age of fossils and the rocks in the Earth.

His response? "C'mon [torn], you know what those fossils are right? Those fossils are just decayed bones left behind from the flood."

I halfway blame JDubs for this. Halfway the school system. We need to get our act together.

torn

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan
    His response? "C'mon [torn], you know what those fossils are right? Those fossils are just decayed bones left behind from the flood."

Sad.....

• sd-7
    sd-7

I've heard this statement made by JWs at meetings, as well. Where does this come from? I usually hear it from people who can barely read themselves. I suppose, in the absence of any other information to contradict them, Witnesses will sincerely believe that. Or, quite simply, because they believe they have 'the truth', all other knowledge is irrelevant. By default, they're the smartest; after all, why else are they the only ones who will survive the impending global holocaust? Propaganda technique: "Wise ones will take their stand on Jehovah's side."

This is one of the things that always bothered me even when I believed the doctrine--sweeping, broad statements like that. I always figured we were in such a tiny corner of the world. Where is our collectively brilliant intellect coming from? Awake! magazine? Holy spirit doesn't write those article about the ant, okay? JW information is cobbled together from various outside sources that the ordinary JW would probably be discouraged from reading too much. Given that new vocabulary is pretty rare in the literature, one's intelligence will not significantly improve by reading it. I noticed many an article that had wording that was clearly cut and pasted from a previous article, word for word. The publications often do this, paste a couple of paragraphs in from a previous article.

I've heard it before, but...you can't be the smartest if you're not even allowed to read or study whatever you want. That's just common sense. Even without referencing the repeated skewering of 'higher education', it is clear that that statement has no basis.

-sd-7

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "C'mon [torn], you know what those fossils are right? Those fossils are just decayed bones left behind from the flood."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhh..... [face/palm slap...]

This thread has a number of excellent comments showing why "Noah's flood" as described in the bible, was impossible... I particularly liked [?] Billy the ex-Bethelite's point about the lack of fresh water on the "ark"...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/current/202747/1/Creationist-Theme-Park-Ark-Encounter

SD-7, about those "Awake" articles - shortly before I left, in 1983, a brother let me know that many of the "Awake" articles are plagiarized from National Geographic, Smithsonian, or [at the time] Life magazine...

I did a quick check and sure enough, there were several "Awake" articles that were printed about a month or two following their correspondingly-themed article in the Nat Geo...

Wonder who they're plagiarizing, now... ???

Zid

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I had an uncle who was a missionary. When I was about seven back in the 1950s I was a big reader, devoured anything and everything.

I noticed a definite correlation between "Readers Digest" and the Awake aticles. I was quite upset but allowed my uncle to mollify me.

I was really stumbled but accepted that my wise superstar uncle was right. I wish I had listened to my seven year old logic.

SL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit