Ignorance and Stupidity

by MrFreeze 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I've had an epiphany. Maybe this was obvious to some of you but after having discussions with certain people I've realized there's a BIG difference between ignorance and stupidity. You can fix ignorance by shedding light. Once an ignorant person sees the light they are changed. You can't fix stupidity. It's engrained, never to be removed.

So, question for you all. How many people in the JW's are ignorant, can be swayed if they just knew the truth, or stupid, stuck in their ways never to change? I really do wonder.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Well, considering many of us were JWs, we were ignorant, yet we chose to leave when presented with the facts of the WTS.

I believe there are many more in the organisation who are like us - just waiting for the right information at the right time to enable them to leave.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

I read an article summerizing it this way:

"Ignorance is not knowing. Stupidity is knowing and doing it anyway. In other words, ignorance has to do with a simple lack of knowledge or education, but stupidity results when a person already possesses the necessary knowledge, yet continues to engage in behaviors that are patently illogical."

Fine, I am board with this as it applies to those who have not been through trama-based programming.

I think we may need a third category; brainwashed . . . which can be more sympathetically characterized by words like bullied or tormented.

Sincere people who are not ignorant, not stupid, and not wicked can be cruelly torn, almost in two. This is one of the truly bad things religion can do to a human mind.

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

"you can't fix stupid"

Ron White

• sabastious
    sabastious

You can fix stupid, it just requires revelation and is only in the power of the stupid ones.

-Sab

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

agreed sab, unfortunatly many times it takes a traumatic event to help us "wisen up"

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

You make a very good point PC. It's just a giant ring of suck. And I don't think you can fix stupid sab. There are ignorant people who may appear stupid, and then there are just stupid people. There may be some JW's who defend the Watchtower because they are ignorant of the facts. Then there are those that even when presented with facts, ignore the facts and spout more BS. That's stupid and there's no hope for that person because if cold hard facts don't work, nothing will.

• wobble
    wobble

I do not think that someone who wishes to believe, be it in the JW religion, or simply in the existence of God, is stupid for doing so, and to call them that is harsh and unloving.

To believe that the JW religion, or any other, is wholly the truth in the face of the evidence is stupidity.

There are many believers who are aware that their belief is devoid of facts and logic, but they still wish to believe.

I do not mind that at all, as long as they do not try to tell me I must believe, and as long as they do not dishonestly indoctrinate their children, they should make their offspring aware that the choice to believe is one that is irrational in the sense that it has no facts or logic to back it up, and then let their children make their own life choices, how many believers do this ?

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

Stupidity is cured at the moment of death. Like most anything, I believe stupidity can be fixed, but it would require someone first coming to realize that they ARE IN FACT STUPID and then determining to no longer BE stupid. Like any other way of life, such as alcoholism or drugs addiction, it would require effort and strong determination to overturn. Because most people, for one reason or another, are not willing to exert the effort and invest the time, stupidity more often than not goes unchecked and progresses.

• Heaven
    Heaven

You Can't Fix Stupid... WalMart Cake

It took me a second, but make sure you read the story under the picture.
    Keep in mind this supposedly really happened.

This cake is for someone who was moving from an insurance claims office

Okay so this is how I imagine this conversation went:Walmart Employee: ? 'Hello 'dis be Walmarts, how can I help you?'Customer: ' I would like to order a cake for a going away party this week.'Walmart Employee: ?'What you want on da cake?'

Customer: 'Best Wishes Suzanne' and underneath that 'We will miss you'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit