As a woman in the truth what went through your head when you realized that us sister had to cover our heads?

by life is to short 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

I was only a child when we studied and this head covering thing is all new to me. We studied at our home and no one covered their heads that I remember. I only ever remember going to the Hall for one Reject Jesus Party. As a family, we never went to the meetings. But back then my Dad wasn't into religion and I don't think my Mom was overly thrilled with some of the goings on in the organization (especially the door-to-door work).

From what I read here on the board, something was amiss in my family regarding 'zealousness'. Maybe it was a combination of things.

All I know is that by the time I hit my teen years I knew there were serious issues with this religion and I wasn't interested in 'dedicating' myself to it. The red "Your Youth" book, an article stating I had to subject myself to my future husband as a wife, the blood policy, a flip flop on Evolution, my parents not getting along, my increasing disagreement with the WTS interpretation of scripture and their blatant scriptureless rules all added up to my saying "No Thanks!" to this oppressive and abusive group.

Women are definitely second class citizens in the Borg.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

1Cortinthians 11:16 is a most interesting passage.

Paul spends most of chapter 1 explaining why he thinks women should wear a head covering.

Of course Paul is pseaking from the POV of his 1st century Jewish upbrining and statinghis opinion, porbably to a question posted by the non-jews of Corinth that were coverted Christians.

The end is the most interesting of parts though:

New International Version(©1984)
    If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice--nor do the churches of God.

New Living Translation(©2007)
    But if anyone wants to argue about this, I simply say that we have no other custom than this, and neither do God's other churches.

English Standard Version(©2001)
    If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God.

New American Standard Bible(©1995)
    But if one is inclined to be contentious, we have no other practice, nor have the churches of God.

International Standard Version(©2008)
    But if anyone wants to argue about this, we do not have any custom like this, nor do any of God's churches.

GOD'S WORD® Translation(©1995)
    If anyone wants to argue about this [they can't, because] we don't have any custom like this-nor do any of the churches of God.

King James Bible
    But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

American King James Version
    But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

American Standard Version
    But if any man seemeth to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Bible in Basic English
    But if any man will not be ruled in this question, this is not our way of doing things, and it is not done in the churches of God.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor the church of God.

Darby Bible Translation
    But if any one think to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor the assemblies of God.

English Revised Version
    But if any man seemeth to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Webster's Bible Translation

Weymouth New Testament
    But if any one is inclined to be contentious on the point, we have no such custom, nor have the Churches of God.

World English Bible
    But if any man seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither do God's assemblies.

Young's Literal Translation
    and if any one doth think to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the assemblies of God.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Almost every sinle commentary states that Paul is saying that if anyoe contends these points, that the church has no other custom than the onces he described.

The thing is, that is NOT what the most naturla reading actually says or implies.

What Paul is stating is that in his opinion, women should pary with their heads covered ( a jewish tradition) but if anyone is contentious of this, the Church of God doesn't really have this custom, so if they don;'t wanna do it, they don't have to.

So why do most commentaries and views on this passage go against the most natural reading and translation?

A very good question and the answer is that the earliest christian writers viewed it as Paul telling women to wear covering and for people not to be contentious because that was the custom of the churchs and theu viewed this because of the submissive role that womn had and continued to have not only in Judaism but in Christianity.

ABove you can see how some have tried to "change" and add words to the verse to make it more "clearer" since the most naturla reading seems to contridict what is being preached.

But in the original greek it says:

no such practise, the greek word being:

toioutos,meaning - such as this or this sort.

Now, some ty to say that the practice that the church don'e have is of someone being contentious of this issue, but that doesn't flow quite right or even make sense gramatically.

The most natural reading is that Paul is voicing his opinion and suggestion what they should do, but that it is up to them becayse the Churchs don';t have an "offical custom" in that regard.

Of course this is just MY opinion too.

• Neon Bible
    Neon Bible
    How about women not allowed to wear pants or pant suits, only little house on the prairie dresses? This is a rule folks, or get called to the back room... (or the back of the bus)

At least they don't segregate the busses to the assemblies.

-NEON BIBLE

• 2tone
    2tone

First wouldnt people that were studying think that witnesses were crazy cuz they were wearing head coverings.

Second, Like Jehovah cant tell that its not a woman under the head covering lol or anyone else for that matter

• life is to short
    life is to short

2tone

Your right about people thinking we are crazy. When that elder did that to me at the age of 17 the woman's who's house we were at did not know it either and she had been around the "truth" for awhile also so when I put the paper towel on my head we both were like this is really crazy. But it made the elder with me happy.

LITS

• tec
    tec

That's interesting, PSac. I thought I was reading it wrong, because depending on the wording, there are two opposite meanings.

However, what seems to be clear is that this is both custom and conformity; not a law or command.

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Leo would probably shed light on this much better than I ever could.

I am just voicing my opinion on what seems like the most natural reading of what Paul wrote.

It seems strange that Paul would require the gentile converts to follow a custom like head covering but allow them to NOt follow any of the other ones such as sabbath, dietray restrictions, circumcission, etc.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I first saw this at the Tuesday night Home/Group Book Study meeting. That night, the men couldnt' make it and an elder's wife decided she could do the prayer. She brought a scarf (her hubby wasn't there). I was a girl, and I felt humilitated for her; and then it was explained to me that this was to show respect for men and what "Jehovah' wanted (like wearing skirts, too). It distanced me from the Truth. Maybe that was the first doubt....

Sketer

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Wanted to mention, this is a very good thread. As a man I'm sometimes oblivious to how women get treated in the truth. This isn't a religion people can just air their complaints about while still in it. At times I even wallow in my own misery within this organization and forget what women have to deal with too. Tip my hat to any woman putting up with this weirdo religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit