The expression 'need greaters'. Anyone else heard this?

by jambon1 25 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

My wife gets emails from someone who is serving in another country.

He keeps on referring to brothers/sisters who are 'need greaters'.

If they are actually using this expression then I have to say that it is the stupidest 'title' that they have ever dreamed up. So full of their own self importance.

Need greaters?.............

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

We were need greaters in 1968. We moved from California to Kentucky, where the need for JW's was greater.

My parents would have been about 25 & 37. They sold everything they owned and moved where we knew no one and had no family or jobs waiting no home...nothing except the other congregation knew we were coming.

In CA where we lived we worked the same territory every 6 weeks or so. In KY, there was territory that only got worked once a year or less, because it was all country, farm lands...miles and miles between houses. We would pack a lunch and make it an all day event. I was 8 I did what I was told.

I don't remember that phrase used by very many though. "need greaters"

lisa

• life is to short
    life is to short

Going where the need is great is the expression I hear the most and they some put their own twist on it. Lisa about sums up what it is.

Many children of the parents who went where the need was greater suffered a lot.

LITS

• blondie
    blondie

*** w09 6/15 p. 27 How to Find Joy in the Gift of Singleness ***As singleness often means fewer obligations, some have taken advantage of their circumstances to serve where the need is greater. “I strongly believe that the more you do in Jehovah’s service, the easier it is to make close friends and feel loved,” says Lidiana, a single sister in her mid-30’s who has served where the need is greater in other lands. “I have made many close friends who come from different backgrounds and nationalities, and these friendships have greatly enriched my life.”

where the need is greater
    1. A territory where there are few Witnesses, and perhaps not even a congregation. <<While serving where the need was greater, my own need got greater, so I had to move back to a city where I could get secular work.>> 2. A congregation where there is a need for workers in the form of elders and ministerial servants. <<When I called the Society to find where the need is greater in the general area I wanted to move to, they suggested a congregation that had no elders and only one ministerial servant.>><<A call went out to serve where the need is greater, but Brother Sledge misheard it as ``where the great are needed.''>>http://jehovah.to/glos/=W.html

• Gayle
    Gayle

I knew 'many' going to "where the need was greater." The organization built this up to have many "blessings" by far. My family was one of them. Back in the 60s. South Dakota. Going to such places broke or near broke many. Financially, health-wise and spirit wise. The lack of 'blessings,' broke much idealism of those JWs. Many moved back to original locations after awhile. However, many, maybe most of those JWs, went into 'endurance' mode, 'hanging-in' mode and remained JWs. Their "new zeal" long gone.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

My family were in the 60's.

When we got back, Dad was seen as a threat to the local Elders, so charges were trumped up against him. We left the country to avoid a showdown. So much for blessings from Holy Spirit.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

"And remember brothers, it's serving where the need is great, not where the great are needed."

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I was a need-greater in Ecuador from 93 to 98. Since the org is really all about titles, those that go and do something special need to give themselves a title so they feel important...

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The brighter people moved where the need was nicer, I remember one family going to the Seychelles.

SL

• blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit