Anyone still feeling apprehensive about celebrating Christmas?

by Think About It 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Think About It
    Think About It

Just go ahead and do it in some way if you like. Put off the WTS thinking and enjoy your family and life. It's really no big deal. Kind of two faced for the WTS to harp on Christmas after all the untruths they have been caught up in and especially when you consider they celebrated it themselves in the past. You will have to decide how open you want to be about it.

Think About It

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Even tho I have not been to KH for 8 years i still can't get into it fully, this year first time i have sent out xmas cards, don't do decorations or tree, it all seems very strange and alien to me.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

If the love of God enters our world through the sun, and Jesus was able to transmute that love 100 percent, why is it such a bad thing to acknowledge that? That is, in a nutshell, why Christmas is celebrated on December 25th. Surely we all know that this is not when Jesus was born. No one in this day and age is stupid enough to think that the sun is God... and I doubt any of the ancients were that stupid either. I think this is all kind of a no-brainer, and we have made it a lot more complicated than it really is, because we have taken the Bible literally and believed that God actually gets offended if he doesn't receive whole-souled zombified "worship".

So, go ahead and celebrate the Festival of Lights (Love), by sharing your love with family, friends, and everyone else.

~PS

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I've been out and away from JWS for about 30 years now, even though I was a born in and I've got to say that Christmas still doesn't

mean much to myself. I time to socialize go to a few restaurants for dinner, drop some gifts off to the nieces and nephews,

perhaps take some time off to go skiing. As for Christmas trees and all the other nonsense, no never have.

Surprising there are now a lot of baby boomers ( worldlies ) that aren't associated with religion that take the very same viewpoint.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Very rarely do I find a non-JW who dislikes Christmas.

Perhaps these aversions are irrational, programmed responses, resulting from Watchtower Thought Reform.

• badseed
    badseed

I always disliked christmas as a kid, long before I even became a JW. Maybe it was cause I didn't get what I wanted. I wanted stuff I could use to have fun but only got clothes and encyclopedias. The jw kind of fit in my thinking on that one. Nowadays, if I can find a good party..sure I'll celebrate...

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Just relax and enjoy it. Most ppl these days just see Christmas as a chance to meet with family and friends and celebrate the end of another year.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A nice look at Colossians 2:16 and surrounding verses ought to put out any myth that the Bible condemns celebrating holidays. No one should judge others because they choose to, or not to, celebrate a holiday. Try telling that to Brother Hounder when he sees the Christmas tree go up.

However, I believe that the festive lights and decorations are naturally attractive to most people. You might not like everything about Christmas, but most people are going to find something to like about it.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

Although I've been DF'd for about 8 years now, I've never really celebrated it. I am married to a "worldly" woman who loves Christmas. She tells everyone that this is my first Christmas. I really don't care one way or another about it. I put the tree up one day when I was off work and she was at work. She was thrilled. Personally, I haven't really understood what is so wrong about it since there is absolutely nothing pagan about what we are doing. Even if it has pagan origins, and I'm sure some of it is, there is nothing about bringing honor to Marduk or any other pagan god.

• JunkYardDog
    JunkYardDog

Think about it; why don't you invite your jw family and friends over for christmas? or to check out your tree etc. I know why you will not You Don't Have the Nerve... JYD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit