Jehovah Unmasked

by Soldier77 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Jehovah Unmasked by Nathaniel J. Merritt. Has anyone read this and what are your thoughts, opinions? I have just downloaded it tonight and I'm already on Chap. 8. Finding it to be an eye opener but I do not want to be easily swayed by it. So I'm wondering what your thoughts are on it.

I honestly can't stop reading. Every chapter so far has been a WTF? moment as I go into it. I'm looking up the scriptures he quoted and doing side research into gnosticism as I go. I'm still letting it sink in and digest the information and thoughts of the writer. I'm almost as blown away as I was when first reading CoC.

Any of your thoughts on this book if you have read it would be welcome. Thank you all.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

I haven't read it but it sounds interesting, especially that the author studied Buddhism. I'm really drawn to that after reading some books by the 14th Dalai Lama. I don't know what gnosticism is though.

Where did you find it? It's $55 on amazon.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I read it a few years ago and loved it. It is really thought provoking and speaks from a Gnostic point of few. It his humors and makes fun of the Isrealite God. I gave it to my teenage son to read it back then and he loved it too. We both had a good laugh because it really pokes some serious holes in believing in the God of the bible.

Ruth

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I read it a few years ago. It helped me a lot.

I am not sure about Jehovah being an undergod, I think Jehovah is just another name for a devil.

I do agree that God is Love.

I do not believe all the violence and pettiness attributed to God, the jealousy, etc, applies to the real God.

I believe with a god like Jehovah, what do we need with a Satan?

There are other explanations for the evil god of the OT. Jehovah Unmasked is one of them. It's a good step in letting go of the worship of a collection of little history books as the infallible word of God. I believe there are some truths about God in the bible, but I believe more of it is rubbish.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Dana, I d/l it a few years ago when it was a free download.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hi, all... I posted a thread about this some time ago, with the free PDF download link, here you go!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/199384/1/Jehovah-Unmasked-by-Nathaniel-Merritt-Now-Available-as-Free-PDF

I enjoyed reading it very much, and I recommend it highly.

My reviews are much more complicated than that really, as I do not take the bible as gospel (no pun intended!) so there was a bit too much discussion of scripture for my tastes, but the comparison and the different perspectives on such well known bible stories was a great read.

I think it is one of those books that everyone should read, just to shake their roots a little.

Danabug... my favorite description of modern Gnosticism is here: http://gnosticsanctuary.org/who_are_we.html

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies
    I'm almost as blown away as I was when first reading CoC.

I was MORE blown away with Jehovah Unmasked than CoC or any other JW related book.

I highly recommend it!

3Mozzies

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Thanks all for the feedback! BabaYaga, it was your link to a previous thread that I d/l the free pdf. Thank you! I lost the link and it was my intent to post it again with this thread, so thank you again!

I'm really liking this book a lot more and more. CoC was great for opening my eyes to the WTS. This book is opening my eyes on a much different level. I can't really compare them as they serve two different purposes for me.

I found a site with the Nag Hammadi Library (Gnostic Books) and read the Apocryphon of James. I'm pretty pumped up to learn more on the Key of Knowledge.

I highly suggest reading this book if you are from a JW background or any Christian background. The fact that the author is an ex-JW, then mainstream Christian then a Buddhist is very interesting to me since I started looking into Buddhism as well.

I think the one thing I've read so far that has really made me think was the tree's of knowledge and life. Why didn't Adam and Eve eat from the Tree of Life first?! Then the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Bad. Ahhh... too bad there was no internet back then for them to Google. lol

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Thanks for the links!

• TD
    TD

Interesting read.

Nate Merritt actually participated here for awhile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit