Where do you go from here?

by still looking 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• still looking
    still looking

I could never be an athiest. Even though I was never brought up with any type of spirituality, as early as the age of 4, I believed in God. I don't know where I got it from. I'd talk to my mother about it, and she never discouraged it, but never did anything to help with it either. I remember watching the pope come off a plane on TV and asked my mother if that was God and she said no. I said why are all those people flocking to him, she said they were nuts. My mother was raised a Catholic and told me plenty of stories, including sexual abuse, when I was older. She let it be known, that wasn't the correct religion. I figured that was why she didn't push a religion. She studied with the witnesses and like me thought they were correct. But she never went to the meetings much, just keeps them at the periphery. They used to drop by with literature, but I guess they thought she wasn't worth the effort.

I find that the one good thing the JW's did was point me to a bible and help me understand. Unfortunately they helped me understand it so good, that I saw that their tree bore some pretty rotten fruit.

I was told the diamond story, the closer you look, the more blemishes you will find.

And honestly, I have to say, the meetings were so boring, the music was tedious, I think God would want something a little more uplifting. Can;t they come up with anything as pretty as Amazing Grace. It was like singing durges. I felt like everything was gray They'd read the paragraph, and a person would raise their hand and just read verbatem the sentence in the paragraph they were looking for. I'd answer what I thought it meant, without word for word, and no matter what, everyone got the same response from the elder. And when I went to those 3 day events, it was always the same old stuff. They would say, there's something new and big, and then there wasn't. But we all acted like it was manna from heaven. I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt this.

We are all human and all make mistakes, that I know. Some of the stuff going on with one of the women I studied with, probably would have caused her to be disfellowshipped if they ever found out. And from what I knew, the JW's are a heck of a lot less forgiving to women than they are to men.

I saw a big change in the JW's when I moved from one state to another. The ones who studied with me at first were kind, patient, never pushy. They wanted me to get baptized, I didn't think I was ready. Then when I moved to another state, they were clickish, cold. After studying for a while I told them I'd like to be baptized, now they said I couldn't, yet I could go out in service.

That wasn't what drove me away from them, but I was amazed at the difference. I remember one study person that was brought to my house by my pioneer came to the hall. The pioneer wasn't there. The poor woman stood in the doorway like a deer caught in the headlights, looking for the pioneer, which was known to not let the study know when she wasn't going to be there, so they would still show up. I could see she was getting ready to take off. I watched as no one stood up and greeted her. I, who had only been there a short time, and felt it wasn't my place yet, got up and walked her to a seat and sat next to her. I watched as they all stared at the poor woman as she walked to her seat. They came up and talked afterword, but really, what was that?

I wonder if it was just the area, or if in the couple years I was away from JW's they changed, maybe something from the higher ups.

When I went to the first hall, you couldn't get in without being mobbed, by polite and friendly people.

I think most of you are right. I think it's a path we all need to find for ourselves. Maybe there is some sort of need that draws us to this type of cultish religion to make us feel like we are belonging or doing something for the good of God. We turn a blind eye to the mistakes and mistreatment of others within the congregation. You don't dare speak up. You follow like good little sheep. And by all means, don't get sick, if you don't show up, you are weak in the faith. I saw people with pneumonia coming to the hall, just so they wouldn't be badgered.

They start out so nice, and then like a frog in water, they slowly turn up the heat, they want more of your time, telling you who you should hang with and who not. What activities you can have. I was told not to garden because it took away from witnessing. I wasn't even baptized. I started feeling like a machine. I was no longer working for God, but for a number in their book so they could publish it in a book or magazine somewhere. I have to wonder how many other religions do that to you, hold out the promise of God and then suck the life out of you.

I was watching a special on Jim Jones in Jonestown a while back. All those people who willingly, drank the Kool-aid. Many didn't and were shot or held and poisoned. Some held their babies to be poisoned. It's amazing how far a human will go to follow a man or an organization, and lose all common sense. They instill a fear that God will hate you if you don't cross your T's and dot your I's as they see fit.

I still remember the threat, that one day, just like the ark, the witnesses will close their doors and not let anyone in, come the time of the end. No matter how much you beg.

I wonder if most religions use that tactic.

I did read late into the night, last night, about the guy who leaked out info on the elders. He went into how, like tec said, follow Jesus, his teachings are kind and loving. It's hard to give up that whole "faith without works is dead" thing they imprint on your brain. I will always believe in right and wrong, there are sins, we are all sinners, and we shouldn't break the commandments willingly. Place the bar high. I also believe we will all fall short. But I have to start looking a lot more into the unconditional love that Jesus offers. That was barely touched on, and I think that is what needs to be taught the most. That is what gives a person heart and soul, not just to be duty bound like an SS officer or something. I saw one of the elders wives witnessing, and she was harsh and pushy. The people would just slam the door or most were polite, but would say no. I thought, where was her heart, these people didn't know all she knew, it took time. Then I wondered if maybe she liked the congregation small and this was a way to insure it. I'll never know, but if her heart was in it, it wasn't in the right place. Probably, she too, was feeling pressured and under the gun. So much is put on the women, since a lot of them didn't work and were expected to do nothing else.

I was wondering if there was an organized religion that worked on that premise, of teaching with the carrot, and not so much with the stick. But one that still upheld biblical values, not an anything goes approach.

Probably not.

• undercover
    undercover

Why do you need an organized religion? If you believe in God...and you believe that the Bible is his Holy Word, then just read it, apply it to yourself, your life. Live as an example of Jesus. Believe what you believe God, and Jesus, is telling you through that book.

If you happen to find a religion that agrees with you...or allows you to believe as you wish, fine...if not, then if you're sincere then surely your God will understand and accept your worship even if it's not through some incorporated and trademarked corporation.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome still looking!

I remember watching the pope come off a plane on TV and asked my mother if that was God and she said no. I said why are all those people flocking to him, she said they were nuts.

Your Mom is a smart lady.

Everyone in life has to face answering this question about where to go as we move through the different phases of our lives. After graduating high school, where do you go? After you have retired from work, where do you go? When you are aged and can no longer take care of yourself, where do you go? Everything I have read and been educated on says you need to have a plan. Time to start creating one.

I feel from reading your words that you are looking outside for something when perhaps what you really need to do is look inward to yourself.

Your life is yours to create and live. How do you wish to do this? How will you fulfill your needs?

About religions... what I have found is that they are man-made constructs. It may look great from the outside, but it only takes one nut job at the top to make it into a cult and a nightmare. Each of them have their hierarchies and rules to follow. They are not necessary to have a relationship with God or Christ. But they are necessary if you want fellowship and community with like-minded people in regards to a faith or a belief.

• Ding
    Ding

I would recommend reading the Bible without the Watchtower publications.

Pray for guidance as you studying your Bible.

Try starting with Romans and Galatians.

When Randy Watters and a number of Bethelites did that in the 1980s, they saw how different the real message of the Bible is than what they were taught as JWs.

Many of them have embraced doctrines they never would have considered as JWs, including some of the ones you mentioned.

But you need to study things for yourself rather than having some organization or leader tell you what to believe.

If you'd like to PM me, I'll be glad to give you my opinions on various subjects and try to back them up from scripture, but it's purely up to you whether you want to do that or not.

I don't want to try to lead you down paths you don't want or aren't ready to explore.

• clarity
    clarity

Still looking hi, welcome to this wild & not so crazy place!

You hit the gong on every point you made!

>

"I think God would want something a little more uplifting. Can;t they come up with anything as pretty as Amazing Grace" AMEN!

For years I longed for the Love of Jesus to be confirmed from the platform, instead of beatings!! The churches even have a song for that ..."YES, Jesus love ME!!,for the bible tells me so". So simple, so fills my heart. Amazing Grace makes me weep!

Of course we do have that lovely little tune ..."From door to door ....lala laaala lala

Hang in there

clarity

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Welcome Still Looking

Glad you found us here. Keep reading and searching and your journey will take you places you never thought possible.

Is there any true religions out there . . .

'True Religion' is an oxymoron.

3Mozzies

• bohm
    bohm

I don't think they are the true religion, but I do think they teach a lot of stuff that is correct. Like the trinity being a false doctrine, no idle worship, including crosses, and hell isn't a forever torture.

Has anyone found another religion that doesn't embrace those things?

Here you go: http://www.venganza.org/

WELCOME!

• tec
    tec
    But I have to start looking a lot more into the unconditional love that Jesus offers. That was barely touched on, and I think that is what needs to be taught the most. That is what gives a person heart and soul, not just to be duty bound like an SS officer or something

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this. We do things backward. We teach rules and consequences and expect people to follow them for the sake of those rules or the consequences that come from not following them. But what we need to do is to teach love. Teach one another the love of Christ and God, and then everything else will flow from that... only then can we say that the law is written on our hearts and our consciences. We have to truly act out of love and faith, and not what other people say is acting out of love and/or faith - which is really just blindly following rules.

Tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest StillLooking... may you have peace! If you can, pay close attention to what dear tec (peace to you, dear one!) has responded to you. There are some words of wisdom, there and, possibly answers to what you are looking for. Or rather, as dear tec stated... WHOM you should be looking for. You don't have to go to any church or through any other man: there is One who is our mediator, leader, and teacher. Problem is, some lack the faith to go directly through him. As a result, the "need" others... or "the Bible" to show them.

I would warn you of both, however... men (and women)... and the Bible. Unless one is led by Holy Spirit... all that one "drinks"... is tainted. The cleanest "water", however, is to be had directly from the Source, isn't it? Before it has passed down the riverway and through the city... where it has either picked up debris and pollutants... or been stripped of all nutrients? If, then, you go to Christ... God's Source for LIVING water... whatever drink you receive will be pure... and unadulterated.

I know that doing this is difficult for many. It's because we don't necessarily have the requisite faith to HEAR him. But we can... if we can either muster faith the size of a mustard seed... or, where we lack faith... ask for it. If, however, you still can't quite put faith in what I am sharing... and need to "see it in writing," then perhaps a reading of the following might help (though, make NO mistake... going directly to Christ WILL help and should be all you NEED to do, as the following states):

John 4:14; 5:39, 40; 6:48-48; 7:37, 38; 10:1-15; 27; and 14:1-15:33

You seem to be at a crossroads... not necessarily in your faith in God and Christ... but in your understanding of "how" to worship God. But you already know: in [the] Spirit and in [the] Truth... as a small child... in faith. May the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies (Psalm 68:4), therefore, grant you His loving kindness and mercy, through His Word (John 1:14; Revelation 19:13)... JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH, who is the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit (2 Corinthians 3:17), which Holy Spirit He will send to you... to guide and teach you... by means of the "oil of exultation"... life's water... God's holy spirit... which that One will pour out upon those asking... in faith.

One way you can DEMONSTRATE your faith is by obeying his (Christ's) word (John 14:23) including that which is recorded at John 6:51-53.

I bid you peace... and ears to hear... when the Spirit and the Bride say to YOU:

"Come! Take's 'lift's water'... the holy spirit of God... which 'water' is poured out from the innermost parts of His Son and Christ, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, my Lord... JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH... free!"

YOUR servant, as I am servant to ALL those of the Household of God, Israel, and those who go with... and a slave of Christ,

• tec
    tec

Peace back to you, Shelby :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit