End of an era: The original members of the Governing Body have all died

by truthseeker 30 Replies latest jw friends

• dgp
    dgp

I was wondering... how can it be that all these men knew how the policies were made, knew that the so-called prophecies weren't coming true, and still no one had the vision, or the guts, or the b.lls to tell it like it was and stand up for the truth. Tell everyone that it was just a big lie, a scam, and that this was not the way things were supposed to be. To his immortal credit, Ray Franz did stand up for the truth. The rest, whatever we think of them, saw what was going on, and chose to leave things as they were. Or, even worse, life didn't teach them anything.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    The original members of the Governing Body have all died

Not to quibble with details, but I don't think this it technically true. Barr, I believe was appointed to the GB in 1977. The GB was established in 1971, despite what faithful JWs believe. Therefore, the last of the "original" members to die was Ray Franz, who passed away a few months ago.

Nevertheless, I get your point. The longest-serving member on the GB was appointed in 1994. The link to the old Rutherford days is gone.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

I wrote this on another thread, but I will say it again: do not expect a doctrinal revolution. The JWs and the Governing Body are trapped in a loop. They cannot afford to loosen the knot: the Zerg Hive would then collapse. More freedom is bad! The next generation of GB members is no better than the Old Guard. Expect more coercition and absurdity in the years to come.

• designs
    designs

There are some really extreme zealots in the newer GB members. The only thing that will moderate them are the World Courts as they did with the blood issue and tax issues in Europe.

• Terry
    Terry

I wrote this on another thread, but I will say it again: do not expect a doctrinal revolution. The JWs and the Governing Body are trapped in a loop. They cannot afford to loosen the knot: the Zerg Hive would then collapse. More freedom is bad! The next generation of GB members is no better than the Old Guard. Expect more coercition and absurdity in the years to come.

You've made the point I was TRYING to make (above) and did it in a much more cogent and pithy fashion than I did! Thanks.

• Alfred
    Alfred

I think the current Governing Body will eventually be forced to send out "feelers" to see who might be interested in joining the body... The feeler will likely have this "invitation" at the end...

Brother DO... lately, we have noticed the holy spirit advancing kingdom interests like never before. It has been directing our decision-making with clear direction on which of Jehovah's servants are most qualified to shepherd the flock in the few remaining days of this system. You will do well in giving prayerful consideration into whether or not you may be in line for the heavenly calling. To this end, we would like to meet with you on XXXXXXXX to discuss your theocratic goals and also to determine your possible status as one of Jehovah's annointed."

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The GB 2.0 has dealt a death blow to any consideration of challenging issues.

We have now been directed NOT to write to beth hell with questions that have not already been dealt with in Society publications.

(YOU know - that body of christian "troof" that has "become part of the Babble" as one article crowed a couple of years ago.

HB

• Ding
    Ding

I wonder how many of those GB members believed that they would never die...

• bigmac
    bigmac

best thing they could do is appoint a --WOMAN--to the gov.bod.

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

bigmac -- They already have a full kitchen staff!

KIDDING! no stones please!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit