Letter from elders

by Cynisister 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cynisister
    Cynisister

Thanks for all the responses. (sir82, I have thought about taking my photo off - probably will do that today.) What I'm gathering is that we will have to wait and see what this brings. I'm not "sweating it' not am I afraid - I really don't acknowledge their authority over me anymore - just more curious than anything else to see if others have had a similar experience and what happened to them as a result.

• AGuest
    AGuest

What strikes ME, dear Cynisister (peace to you!)... is that they asked your husband if they could write YOU a letter. And since he is still a member, of course (1) they would take his agreement as "permission" to do so, and (2) he really couldn't have refused, could he, without bringing them down on him? Yet, were it the other way around... say, your husband was out and didn't want to be bothered, but you were still in, they most probably wouldn't have asked YOU whether they would write to HIM. Or, if they did, you could have said, "Uh, no, HE doesn't want that..." and that would have been the end of it.

It's bigoted, IMHO, in light of the day and age we now live in (i.e., no longer under ancient Roman or other "rule" were women were to be "in subjection")... unscriptural (other than Paul's Pharisaic teachings, which were based largely on such Roman rule, but also misogyny)... and certainly unchristlike (he spoke to the Samaritan woman and told HER to go get her "husband").

Aren't you glad YOU'VE at least seen their "light"?

I hope all works out well for both you and your husband.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Unfortunately, they do not need you to proceed with a DA announcement...they can use your reticence to meet with them and your suspicion of voting as an admission that you no longer want to be a JW. I wish you the best in dealing with this issue...it is never fun.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

or you can deny voting (as long as they don't have two witnesses) and they will have to leave it alone...

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, the elders can put a request to meet with you in writing, they just cannot name the specific reasons why. In the last congregation I attended, if the elders could not contact a member regarding a suspected df'ing or da'ing offense by phone or stopping by, they would send a registered letter to the individual spelling out the time and location for a meeting with them. These elders would send it 3 times and if there were no response and they had "two witnesses" to the wrongdoing they would df or consider the person as having da'd themselves and would announce it to the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit