What did (do) u want to be when u grew up?

by Sayswho 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

I was born in the mid 1950's and raised as a Jw so I did not need to consider or worry about this...WHY?...because it was instilled into me that I would never have to worry about being old enough to be anything in this "old system of things".

As the years went by:

• 1970-something...Out of school...No "New System"
    • No need for more training, just a few years left... No "New System"
    • Got a job, married,... No "New System"
    • "Waking up" 50+ years later...STILL NO "NEW SYSTEM"

This was the mind set of so many raised as Jw's, and we are now finding ourselves trying to adjust our lives to weather the years that we have left...in order to make the best of them.

• PLEASE... if you are still an active Jw (or not) get an a good education so you can support yourself and prepare for retirement, and don't be afraid to talk to others about how to do this so you can make an informed decision on what is best for you.
    • So what did (do) you want to be when you grow up?

Sw

• yknot
    yknot

You mean in this 'system of things'

I assumed my 'new system' job would be aiding the resurrected for several hundred years!

I never really pictured myself alive in this system of things beyond Oct 2000....... but when I did I was to fulfill my assigned destiny of working for the WTS Legal Deptment

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

Yknot...

I remember it being a good feeling not having to worry about the future...and for sure by the year 2000 we would be out of this 'old system of things'.

Sw

• unshackled
    unshackled

All I knew was that I was going to build a house in the new system and have a stream running through it. That was the extent of my future "planning". In the late 80s, still in grade school, I figured I'd never even graduate before the "end" came. Funny and pathetic at the same time.

Now in my late thirties, I'm trying to figure out how to start a real career. Oh what could've been....

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I was born in 52.

Had the same experience as you sayswho.

I'm 58, I have 4 more years being underpaid at a job I dont like.

Then I'll have to survive on social security.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have been a school teacher with lots of time off.

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

Unshackled: most of us in my early cong felt we would never graduate either...yet here we are, although some of them left in 75 and never came back.

Jaguarbass: Yep if we could only do it over...I was just thinking about getting some extra training now but not too many years left to use whatever training I would get... and getting to an age that if I wanted to change jobs I would have a harder time getting one. Don't really want to work until I'm ready to die like so many Jw's and to be fair non Jw's have to.

Sw

• crapola
    crapola

Be normal. Get decent education. Have good job.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I was sitting in the backseat of an uncomfortable sun-baked 1958 Plymouth with some pioneer sisters doing return visits. I was 10 years old. On another occasion these same sisters made the point that "there is the time to speak and a time to be silent." The point being, kids should not speak unless spoken to. One of them turned to me and said, "What do you want to do when you grow up." I said, "I dunno, maybe I'd want to be a cosmologist." And one of them said, "Oh that is interesting, do you know a lot about makeup?" "No, but I do like reading about Einstein."

• wobble
    wobble

I want to be like Leolaia when I grow up.

I actually cannot remember having any ambition to be anything apart from being a writer, I have not achieved that yet, though I feel a novel coming on.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

write your novel wobble - never too late!

A car designer, an architect, a snooker player, Batman. In hindsight I could have had a really good go at the first two.

mmxiv

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit