Norwegian band a-ha retired today after 28 year career

by factfinder 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• factfinder
    factfinder

My favorite band a-ha retired today after their final concert in Oslo. I will miss them. Over the past 25 years they have sold over 36 million albums, over 25 million singles and had 35 #1's worldwide. They also set the world record for largest paying audience at a single concert with 196,000 fans attending in Rio De Janario in 1991.

a-ha are an extremly talented and creative band with an amazing vocalist: Morten Harket. The three guys will remain involved in music and I look forward to future solo albums by Morten. Still- they were amazing together as a-ha. I will miss them.

• Mandette
    Mandette

A-Ha was fabulous!!!! Only one hit here in the US but it was and still is one of my favorites of all time!!!!!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Amazing, I only knew them for one song, and assumed that they broke up soon after that.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Mandette and Broken Promises- thanks for commenting! Here in the U.S they are mainly known for "Take On Me" true. It is a great, catchy song and was such a massive hit here and worldwide! But the sad thing is they had so many other great songs after that which just did not get the notice they should have gotten here in the U.S. They just completed their "Ending On A High Note" tour which included over 70 concerts in 15 countries including the US. They played 3 concerts in NY, 2 in LA and 1 in Chicago this past May. Sadly, I did not get to see them.

Here they never got the recognition and continued popularity they did in other parts of the world, especially in Europe and South America. Although they did have several more songs after TOM that made Billboard's US charts. Their latest studio album "Foot Of The Mountain" came out last year and it's one of my very favorites. I highly recommend it! Now they have a new anthology album out called "25" ( Their first album came out in 1985). It includes all of their biggest hits plus their final single from this year: "Butterfly Butterfly ( The Last Hurrah)."

And WB/Rhino records recently released new re-mastered and expanded deluxe editions of a-ha's first two albums: "Hunting High And Low" and 'Scoundrel Days" here in the US! They returned to the top 40 in Billboard's Top 40 Internet Sales Chart! You can order these from Rhino.com. Alot of extra material is included such as demos and previously unreased songs from their early years.

There is alot of concert footage and many of their songs posted on youtube if you'd like to look them up and hear what they sound like. Their final concert from today in Oslo was filmed and will be released on a dvd.

A friend of mine on Facebook was at the Oslo concert today and posted on youtube a suprise - a-ha performed a cover of the Everly Brother's hit "Bowling Green"! Terry Slater, who discovered a-ha back in 1983, wrote that song for the Everly Brothers. He was at the Dec.4 concert.

a-ha are a wonderful band with great music and to me Morten Harket is the best male singer ever! I will miss them. ( I heard that Morten may be releasing a new solo album next year. I hope so!).

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

'these roads'....fabulous...

Loz x

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I had no idea they were still around.

I used to watch MTV constantly in the mid-80s so I can recall three a-ha songs "Take on Me", "The Sun Always Shines on TV" and "Train of Thought".

• factfinder
    factfinder

Lozhasleft- Stay On These Roads is one of my favorites! Yes- Morten's vocals are great!

Leolaia- I did'nt see the video for "Train Of Thought" on MTV. I saw "Cry Wolf" on it though! Did you see that one?

• Simon
    Simon

I remember the video coming out for "Take on me" with the semi hand-drawn / animated sequences which at the time were amazing.

Didn't know they kept going though !

• factfinder
    factfinder

Hi Simon! Yes- that was an amazing video for TOM! The one for "Hunting High And Low" was another one with great special effects!

Paul and Magne started their group "Bridges" in 1977. Morten joined the blues/soul band "Soldier Blue" in 1979. That same year he met Mags and Paul playing in a battle of the bands at his school. The 3 of them formed a-ha in 1982. Now after a very successful career together they have decided to retire the band and go their seperate ways. Paul had mentioned in an interview that he would like to continue writing songs for Morten to sing so I'm hoping that in the not too far future Morten will agree to record some of Paul's songs.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I love this song AND their video... very creative:

"Take On Me" - A-Ha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit