How come witnesses can seem to be very friendly to the uninformed worldlies?

by dgp 17 Replies latest jw friends

• dgp
    dgp

I know that Jehovah's witnesses are told not to be part of the world and not to have worldly friends. I know that some witnesses do have friends. But, what I'm curious about is how a witness could sustain polite and seemingly friendly interaction with worldlies and at the same time feel that these are not people s/he should befriend. I would appreciate anyone shedding some light on this. How come some witnesses can have relationships that seem like friendships to the uninformed?

• man in black
    man in black

A picture is worth a thousand words :

fish

• dgp
    dgp

I understand the picture . Should have said this in a better way. Does a witness ever feel he's a hypocrite when interacting with worldlies? How can a human being be polite and respectful, on the one hand, and deep down hate you?

• moshe
    moshe

Give a JW enough time and they will stop being nice to worldlies and show how much they really disrespect them.

-

• VIII
    VIII

Fresh meat....

Cults and Ponzi schemes needs new members to survive.

How do car salesmen do their job? How do Avon ladies try to sell their product?

That is why I never could make it as a dub. I didn't buy into the product they were selling and couldn't convince even one homeowner to purchase my magazines.

• VIII
    VIII

Fresh meat....

Cults and Ponzi schemes needs new members to survive.

How do car salesmen do their job? How do Avon ladies try to sell their product?

That is why I never could make it as a dub. I didn't buy into the product they were selling and couldn't convince even one homeowner to purchase my magazines.

• Ding
    Ding

Consider a business analogy.

A businessman may not like his customers or socialize with them.

But if he wants to keep them as customers he puts on his game face and treats them in a friendly way.

• Timothy Riches
    Timothy Riches

It's a little bit more complicated than that. JWs have a shell-shocked look to them that is misinterpreted as happiness, or at least contentment by the uninformed observer. It indicates that they have passed a certain stage in their relationship with the Governing Body, one of uncritical acceptance bound up with a positively morbid wish for a clean, unexpected death. Each time a JW reads an article about a fellow member who has died for their beliefs, the feeling they have in powerful waves is envy, imagining such a pious end would be a golden ticket to paradise.

Here is a youtube video posted by a young JW with the look I'm referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NWdVjbm-zg

• goddidit
    goddidit

What is actually causing the shell-shocked look then?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They're not taught to hate you. Where did you get that idea from?

They're just taught that you are led astray by Satan and God's gonna kill ya and that if they're not careful Satan will use you to trap them too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit