Slavery in the Bible facilitates dyfunctional relationships

by sabastious 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious

How do the leaders of the Watchtower sleep at night?

I often wonder this and feel there is a variety of factors to consider when explaining why people like the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses do indeed sleep well at night (assuming they do).

One of the first things that comes to mind for me is the topic of slavery in the Bible.

This concept trickles down into many aspects of society:

Secular work could be considered a form of slavery. The boss doesn't feel bad about overworking his employees and treating them as lesser people, because in a sense they are lesser people in the context of the bosses work environment. Therefore the boss is playing a "legitimate role" and doesn't feel ethically comprimised when doing ethically scetchy things in the business environment.

The family life also has this "slavery" concept in it at times. The father (and often the mother too) feels that their children are nothing but subjects. Clean slates you might say. Therefore it is the parents responsiblity to instill their core values into their children. It doesn't matter if that means teaching children that the Men Behind the Curtain in Brooklyn's words are law, it's simply the parents "legitimate role" as the leader of the pack.

Which leads me to religious leaders of all types.

The Bible advocates regulated slavery. This means that the slaves have "rights" but only to a point. The Free Man has superior rights to the Slave. The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses refer to themselves as "Slaves" and in their theology they definitely are slaves. But they are the "Head Slaves." The rank and file of the Witness organization are lower on the totum pole so-to-speak. They have a different position in the scheme of things and are treated as such.

So when the Governing Body outlaws organ transplants or oral sex within the marriage and the Rank and File suffer from it... it is just the way of things. The Governing Body are merely exercising their legitimate role in the grand scheme of things. Sure they are going to make mistakes, no one would expect them not to.

So they sleep well at night because they feel they are doing the best they can while exercising their role.

The reason I bring up Slavery in the Bible is because I feel that this Biblical concept is what drove all these teachings in the first place (in part). It's a hierarchy of power. And, according to the Bible, hierarchies of power are the best form of government since it's predominantly displayed within the pages of the Bible itself. This breathes life into the age old human characteristic of the Pursuit of Power.

It's basically an excuse to step on the human rights of anyone you want to. "It's just the way of things" or "Who are you to question who God puts in authority?"

Without Slavery being advocated in the Bible the Watchtower and many others would have less credibility when treating their members like slaves.

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The reason I bring up Slavery in the Bible is because I feel that this Biblical concept is what drove all these teachings in the first place (in part). It's a hierarchy of power. And, according to the Bible, hierarchies of power are the best form of government since it's predominantly displayed within the pages of the Bible itself. This breathes life into the age old human characteristic of the
    Pursuit of Power

SLavery aside for now, the bible does NOT advocate a heirachy of power at all, before the Hebrews wanted kings ( liek their pagans neighbours) it was a tribal society lead by elders and it was very much a "group thing" like most nomadic tribes.

The whole "heirachy" of kings, slaves, priestly class and so forth was created by Man.

Christ himself said their is one Lord ( Christ) and that his followers are there to serve and lead by serving so there was no heirachy per say.

As for slavery, the bible does not advocate slavery, as a matter fo fact, it is agaist the commandments of God ( Thou shall not covert anything of thy neighbours, which would obiviously mean THEM and it was far more emcompassing a prohibition than just "not slaves").

The fact that slavery was condoned is another matter.

• jay88
    jay88

PSac- You should look at the thread "How to Beat Your Slave", it gives 'how to' instruction in Exodus. This is before the Israelites had a king/ruler.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The fact that slavery was condoned is another matter.

Slavery is a hierarchy of power, therefore the Bible does condone a hierarchy of power: the Slave and the Master.

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSac- You should look at the thread "How to Beat Your Slave", it gives 'how to' instruction in Exodus. This is before the Israelites had a king/ruler.

link please?

Slavery is a hierarchy of power, therefore the Bible does condone a hierarchy of power: the Slave and the Master.

Only in the sense of God and Jesus as Lord(s) and their followers as slaves, though since you follow out of free will you are not really a slave are you?

• jay88
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento

I don't get youtube at work....

The rules applied to slaves in the OT, like in leviticus and such, are man-made rules.

They have nothing to do with God, the only Laws given directly to Man by God where the 10 commandments.

One can argue that the hebrews were "civilised" with their slaves ( though I wouldn't be one to do that), what with provisions for freedom and such, but I still see slavery as being in direct conflict with "Not coveting" anything of they neighbours.

Granted that there is NO SPECIFIC abolation of slavery in the OT or the NT.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

While there is no out right condemnation od slavery in the OT, there are what could be viewed as "ethical" laws in regards to dealing with them.

Better than nothing I guess...

In the NT Paul says this in his first letter to Timothy:

8 Now we know that the law is good, if any one uses it lawfully, 9 understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 immoral persons, sodomites, kidnapers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, 11 in accordance with the glorious gospel of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.

The term " kidnappers" is also understood as 'enslavers' and here Paul included them with those that are unlawful.

And while he tells slaves to obey their masters he also tells those very masters to treat them in the same wa y.(Ephesians 6:8).

When Paul returns the runaway slave Onemusi to his master he tells his master to treat him as a baleoved brother.

I think that Paul knew that going against slavery was a losing deal, that it would only bring ruin to the early Christian movement ( Slavey was an institution in Rome), so Paul saw the way to get rid of it by working from within - Chnage peoples mind about slaves and they won't want slaves anymore.

• jay88
    jay88

You can look up Exodus 21:20,21 at work & take a look at the video later.

I use to put the energy into trying to justify the bible, but if (according to the bible) the Israelites can worship false gods after having "God" work with them directly to escape from Egypt.

Then mistreatment of a slave does not seem impossible, especially since it was put in writing.

• james_woods
    james_woods

An interesting point to be made is that if you had to go strictly to the Bible - new or old testament - to prove the moral issue of abolition of slavery, or even civil rights - you would have to make a very peripheral argument. Peripheral enough, I would think, to make a JW doctrinal writer proud.

Nothing there denounces slavery specifically. JWs are still going on somewhat about the "faithful and discrete slave class", although probably moreso about "governing body" now.

Of course, a careful study would not find any particularly strong prohibition against war or being a soldier, either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit