This both excites me and breaks my heart

by GrandmaJones 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I have two living siblings, an older brother, and a younger sister. My brother and his wife have had to move many times due to his job because of promotions, and new opportunities. Everytime they moved, it would be weeks before they were settled enough to begin attending meetings again. After about six or seven moves, they just didn't get started again. (Seriously, they must have moved twelve or more times,it seemed like every three or four years he was changing jobs.) He is very successful.

My brother had a heart attack last month. He and his wife live some distance from us, and my sister and I drove together to Memphis to be with them during this crisis. He didn't suffer too much damage, but he needed a triple bypass, and had one two days after the heart attack. Consequently, my sister and I spent several nights together in a local hotel, sharing a room. We knew he would be fine but we wanted to give my sister-in-law support. She was so distraught.

My sister and I still live in the same town and we are extremely close. We share everything with each other. Because of that, she has been aware of some of my feelings while I was reading all the volumes of the Studies in the Scriptures. She and I have always agreed in the idea of a complete resurrection of everyone who has ever died, and didn't believe that god would destroy billions of people who didn't take the Watchtower. It just never made sense to us, and we paid attention to the fact that the bible didn't say he would destroy the people at Armageddon, it says he will gather the nations together for the great day... We understood this to mean only the system of governments.

This however, never shook our faith in the organization as being the channel of communication for his people. We just figured that one day they would understand this and "new light" would happen, and that we were "running ahead" of Jehovah and he would make this clear in due time. (I know, I know. Cult thinking) This was not a thing in which the rest of the family shared our opinions, but they didn't really argue the case too strongly, and it was never anything they felt needed to be made a big deal of. They just thought we were wrong, completely wrong.

This of course, has always made field service a problem us. What do you say to a Bible study when you get to the Armageddon part? We always handled that with some version of "Jehovah in his infinite mercy will handle that issue with pity and understanding when the time comes. We don't need to worry about that as his justice is perfectly balanced with love and mercy."

In the past few years, we have practiced a form of field service that skirts this issue by not getting ourselves into situations like that. No return visits, no bible studies, only street witnessing, etc. etc....

We never openly discussed this. We just said we didn't really enjoy field service, or that we had been too busy to go this month, and would go out and street witness for an few hours at the end of the month so as to make some time. Basically we just handed magazines out without discussion, like we were passing out leaflets or something. "Here's some reading material that might be of interest" we would say.

She and I meet frequently for dinner and a "girls night out". Shopping or movie kind of thing. Finally, during this drive and the subsequent amount of time in the hotel due to my brothers heart problems, we had a real block of time together.

Although this forum has been a tremendous amount of help to me as an outlet to talk about my realization that this is not god's chosen channel and my heartbreak and extreme anquish in discovering and accepting this fact, it was still something I wished I could share with my sister. I had already come out to my husband (who was perfect okay with this) and to one of my children (who says he is still a believer, but is okay, and assures me that he would never, ever shun me, and would be disfellowshipped himself before he'd do that) and to one of my grandchildren who is not yet baptized, and when I brought this up, told me that he has too many doubts to do it. He doesn't feel the answers to his questions are satisfying.

Everyone I have spoken with so far, has, however been extremely shocked that I could say and do this. My son was especially shocked, he practically fell out of his chair. I mean, I am no spring chicken, and to suddenly say this now....well, it was very surprising.

I really wanted to talk frankly with my sister though, and our brother's surgery offered me the time to do it. So, I just came out with it. I just told her gently and simply what my reasons were and how I would never attend meetings again. She was crying and begging me to reconsider, but immediately assured me that I was her sister, and nothing I could ever do would change that. When I woke up in the morning, she had written me a letter, asking me not to leave the organization, but continuing to assure me that it would not change our relationship if I refused. She said she completely understood my reasons, and really, in most respects, agreed with me. (My sister is one of the sweetest women in the world, and I am lucky to have her. I know that her sense of personal integrity is high, her generosity large, and her capacity for love is expansive.)

We didn't really get a chance to talk for two weeks due to other obligations, but then our brother suffered a blood clot in his leg, and was readmitted to the hospital for observation and care. So we drove to Memphis together again.

The morning of the second day, we are in a restaurant and she suddenly broke into tears. She just blurted out that she knew that this wasn't the truth, that she had already had some doubts herself and that she had always pushed them down and refused to examine them, but that now that I had expressed it all together, had said it all aloud, that she was now unable to shut the lid again. She's been praying incessantly and crying herself to sleep. It's all she thinks of day and night. She is heartbroken and completely devastated.

My sister is a widow. She really was in love with her husband until the day he died. They had two daughters, and the oldest one drowned in a boating accident when she was three. She and her husband never got over it. Between her daughter and now her husband, she has spent most of her life holding tightly to the belief of the resurrection that she felt was surely coming soon and that would reunite her with them yet in her lifetime. This new teaching of the generations has really bothered her. She hoped the time left was very short.

She is so terribly unhappy, and told me that now that she sees that the Wizard of Oz is just a man behind a curtain, and that the veil is lifted from her eyes, she can never again believe. She keeps praying that Jehovah show her that she is wrong, and that the organization is really his channel, but nothing changes. She just can't make herself believe it, and god is not taking action regarding her prayers. I know exactly how she feels, it is what I felt as well, and, I guess in some ways I still do. The fairy tale felt so good, it was so comforting. It's horrendous to discover that you have lived a life in sacrifice to something that doesn't exist.

I feel so terribly sad for her. She is so heartbroken, and she doesn't know what to do. She thinks she will just fade into inactivity, and since her children live in other parts of the country, they'll probably not even discover it. When they visit, they don't go to meetings, they just spend all their time together. When she visits them, she'll just take her bible and songbook and attend meetings for a week.

I am not at all sure that I did the right thing in bringing this to the front of her mind. I feel like the source of her great disappointment and unhappiness, and that I destroyed her dream of seeing her husband and daughter again. It's like she is suffering their deaths all over. It's terrible for her.

So, on one hand, I am glad she knows the truth, and can live the rest of her life as she really pleases, and on the other, and right now, it feels that I have made life ugly for her. When you are as far along in life as we are, so many of the choices you would have if you were even as young as forty or fifty are denied you. There are just so many things you can't change. You know that you have children in their forties who have grown up in the truth, and she and I both have grandchildren who are adults, or who are approaching adulthood. What do you do?

• nelly136
    nelly136

its a bit like a death, she needs to go through the grieving process

not the same http://www.bereavementservicemk.org.uk/grieving_process.htm but very similar

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Well, you and she chose your beliefs in direct contravention to JW beliefs - because you wanted a sense of fairness from God. (I think it's bizzarre but very cool what you both chose to believe, btw).

So now you can believe in fairness from God w/o any WT BS to get in the way.

I personally believe we are no different than animals and that when we take our dirt nap, that's it - it's over. That is fair - because it's all anyone gets; so I'm not sad about it.

But if your sister believes that God exist and has something in store wrt an afterlife - I'm sure she can imagine several scenarios that are both fair and far more likely than anything that Pastor Russell or his ilk conjured up.

Meanwhile, you and your sister get to be in constant awe of how dumb we used to be - believing the crap we believed. Just that awareness brings me a chuckle almost every day :)

Chose love, happiness, and to be in awe of how-much-there-is-to-learn about this planet/universe; the days ahead will be better than those behind if you do so. I guarantee it.

• nugget
    nugget

It is difficult to know what is best and sometimes letting the genie out of the bottle leads to pain and anguish. when I discovered the truth about the organisation it was as if I was bereaved all over again. But just because the future is now uncertain it does not mean that all hope is gone. I don't know if there is a God or any hope for the dead but I don't know if there isn't.

I do know that I would rather live with the doubt than be the means for small minded men to gain self worth at my expense. I live the life that my loved ones wanted for me. I try to make good choices and have a giving spirit, I embrace opportunities and work hard for my family.

There may be a time when your sister's sorrow turns to anger no one likes being lied to.

• Ding
    Ding

GrandmaJones,

What's done is done.

Now your sister will need time to sort out what she will believe now that she knows she can't rely on the Watchtower Society.

If she hasn't rejected the Bible altogether, I would strongly recommend that she read it on her own to see what it really teaches.

In doing this, I think it's best to start with the New Testament -- Romans and Galatians are often a very good place to start.

Hope this helps.

Ding

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Bake some cookies and watch a good movie. If you are a grandma, enjoy the grandkids and take it a day at a time. We are what we are.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

I want my mom out, but I dont want to break her heat either. I am sooo happy and sooo sad for you both! But now true healing can happen!

• mamalove
    mamalove

((HUGS)) to you my dear. First of all, you are sisters. That is a bond that should be able to uhold many of life's twists and turns. Even though you are not "spring chickens" anymore, there is still MUCH life to live, and much benefit to living no longer in the darkness of the "proclaimed truth" but in the truth that it never really was the chosen way for mankind. The burden of living something that never felt right is something that is so refreshing to no longer have to do.

Slowly she will get "it" in her own way. None of us believe the same. None of us have it all figured out. It took me a good 6 months to get rid of that wince inducing feeling when I initially left. When it finally lifted it was amazing how good I felt.

Hang in there, love your posts! xoxo -Mamalove

• Giordano
    Giordano

It sounds more like the new teaching of the generations knocked her for a loop. In her own words she is now looking behind the curtain. That and your decision and the reasons you expressed compelled her to look at her own beliefs and apparently she's more in agreement with you then the WTBTS. She wants to be reunited with her loved ones, she was hedging her chances being a JW. Maybe she should hedge her bet by joining a more positive and loving group and consider reuniting with them in Heaven (if that hope would comfort her). As a non believer that’s what I'd probably have told my mother if she expressed doubts and great sadness. Maybe you should get together and go church shopping (smile)!

• Gayle
    Gayle

You two sisters are "lucky" to have each other,,to be able to open up honestly and express your personal thinking, doubts, and disagreement toward the organization together.

It really shows, your open heartedness and honestly expressing doubts with each other is exactly why the organization has to nip such thinking right away and not allow it. Because it causes others to start thinking also.

The resurrection was about the last thing I was holding on to there, for the return of my beloved mom. Finally, I decided she has been all that time in heaven already, though her hope was earthly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit