What degree of accuracy and consistency do you feel it's fair to hold today's religions to?

by The_Present_Truth 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

Once you realize some fundamental truths about Christian religions, you can throw out any expectations for accuracy or consistency. Some of these truths include:

- They are man-made constructions to control the masses.

- They are based on 2 main theories - God and Creation.

- They are also based on a book that contains contradictions and inaccuracies.

- The Bible is not the inerrant word of God. It was written by Middle Eastern men. If the Old Testament had been working, there wouldn't have been a need for a New Testament.

- Subjugation is not loving.

• The_Present_Truth
    The_Present_Truth

Marcus,

Thanks for your comments. For the record, I didn't mean that in a smart*ss way. I just didn't want the discussion to be focused on the WT anymore than necessary. That said, I understand completely the tendency for an ex-JW to size up the world according to JW lore. I've been guilty of it and still fight it to this day. I could tell you were schooled in Theology and religious history. I was too. I actually attended the Theocratic Ministry School for about 20 years.Maybe you've heard of it? LOL ...ha ha ha .... (Sorry couldn't resist a little humor. It's pathetic I know.) I both respect and appreciate your schooling, knowledge and willingness to share.

Interesting that you're Jewish now. I wouldn't mind visiting with you about that off to the side in PM's if you're game. I've been reading up on Judaism lately.

JWFacts ... Great post. I tend to agree 100%. Always enjoy your posts.

Heaven .... Re: If the Old Testament had been working, there wouldn't have been a need for a New Testament.

Couple of things ... One, I'd have to ask if the New Testament is working any better than the Old Testament. My personal thoughts - not really. The world is just as messed up as it was back then prior to the New Testament - just as messed up, only on a grander scale with more complicated elements.

Second, those of Jewish persuasion probably feel about the New Testament the same way that most Christians feel about the Book of Mormon. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

I tend to agree with you though that "religion" is a man-made construction meant to control the masses. Short of God choosing the nation of Israel to be his chosen people in Biblical times and demonstrating this to be so, as we're told in Scripture (assuming for this discussion the accounts of such are true) I really can't see any evidence of God endorsing any modern day religion and blessing it with his overwhelming presence and a baseline of accuracy and consistency that can't be missed.

To say that the Bible is not the inerrant word of God, doesn't that contradict the notion set forth at 2 Timothy 3:16,17 where it talks about "All" Scriptures being inspired and beneficial ..... ? If a person doesn't believe in the New Testament then 2 Timothy 3:16, 17 would have no bearing on things.

Appreciate all the thoughts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit